Diesel Place banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Ok, so I feel like a dork. I need to reposition the drivers side wiper blade on the post so it goes down farther on the window and not off the side of the truck. I know if I tilt the arm up, I can then pull the tab out and theoretically shouldn't that release the arm from the post? I noticed that the drivers side has a small hole in the middle of the post end, so I wondered if I am supposed to push in while trying to pull off the post?
I am almost positive that if it wasn't below zero with the wind chill factor that I would have more patience and it would pop right off, but that ain't happening 'till late March. Any ideas? What am I forgetting?

thank you,

Binky
'98 K2500, Extended Cab, F, TD, stock truck

·
Registered
969 Posts
pull tab out and and pull straight up on the wiper arm, its just stuck on, and patience? whats that, you won't damage it. if you really want to pull on it, stick a screwdriver under the arm close to the post and use it as a prybar ( remember a block of wood under the screw driver so you don't damage the paint) it will come off,

·
Registered
808 Posts
re-postion

If the wiper arm and blade are going off the window and when it parks (stops) sits too high,then this is not a below 0 job.

When I did the wiper on mine it was hitting the visor at the edge of the window
To adjust: take wiper arms off as described, then remove the cover over the wiper mechanism (8 screws, two hidden), lift up and out towards roof, disconnect washer hose.
Put the wiper arms and blades back on, then at the drivers side near the wiper motor with a 10mm socket loosen the two nuts on the arm going up to the drivers side pivot, adjust the position on the window of the wiper arm snug nuts up tight, run a test (cycle the wipers) repeat adjustments if necessary, then tighten a reasonable amount.
Remove wiper arms replace cover, all should be good.

When I had mine apart I re-greased the pivots.

·
Registered
380 Posts
they might come of a little easier if you heat them up a little with a hair dryer? just a thought

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
I did what CanadianDiesel and Corolla are saying last year when I replaced my wiper motor.

If you can get away with what CD is saying, you're laughing. If you have to do what Corolla is describing, it's a Pain In The @ss!

If it's just the driver's side you might be able to get away with what CD is saying. The arms are mounted on a splined post that is just held on by a little tab that slides out of the way so you can pop/pry it off. Hopefully you can just pop it off and then adjust it on the splines.

If you have to get into adjusting the linkage, you're in for a bit of work.

Good luck,

Dave

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Binky;1584568; said:
Hi all,

Ok, so I feel like a dork. I need to reposition the drivers side wiper blade on the post so it goes down farther on the window and not off the side of the truck. I know if I tilt the arm up, I can then pull the tab out and theoretically shouldn't that release the arm from the post? I noticed that the drivers side has a small hole in the middle of the post end, so I wondered if I am supposed to push in while trying to pull off the post?
I am almost positive that if it wasn't below zero with the wind chill factor that I would have more patience and it would pop right off, but that ain't happening 'till late March. Any ideas? What am I forgetting?

thank you,

Binky
'98 K2500, Extended Cab, F, TD, stock truck
Just a thought...but...if I'm reading this right I don't think it's supposed to have a little hole in it. If your havin' trouble getting the wiper off, maybe it's corroded on there really well from that little hole being open.

I had to cut mine off and replace the linkage and wipers they were so badly corroded. My truck also has over 500 000km's tho and I think they were original.

I posted part numbers for my linkage in the part point sticky if you end up needin' them.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you

Hi all,

Thanks for the advice and help. Still too darn cold and now we're getting pounded with snow. I'll have to wait a few more days to try again.

·
Registered
969 Posts
its not that cold, i was outside today -21F is what the tractor said, and i was working on it. pulling it appart in half to do a clutch. get some winter clothing on and go at er

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
-28C here this morn and i was lying on the ground under one of our float trailers repairing some wiring.

so put down your nail polish and get out there and :grd:

·
Banned
9,366 Posts
You from Canada, Binky? We grow 'em tough up here, as the replies indicate...

If you are, then get yer snow pants on and get at it... can't let them pantywaist warm-weather folks see ya hesitate at a little cold.

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
If you are going to have to do a destructive removal, use a Dremel tool to CAREFULLY cut off the arm, you can split the sides then peel it off of the shaft so you are only replacing the arm,, not arm/shaft/linkage.

·
Registered
740 Posts
jifaire;1591278; said:
You from Canada, Binky? We grow 'em tough up here, as the replies indicate...

If you are, then get yer snow pants on and get at it... can't let them pantywaist warm-weather folks see ya hesitate at a little cold.
Yea, It was about 54 F here in Southeast Texas this past weekend and I was outside BBQ...:D Sorry couldn't help it.

·
Registered
740 Posts
:funnypost Who won?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Tough Crowd

Boy, this is a tough crowd. I guess I should have finished the job in between shoveling snow today. Although I must admit I was having way too much fun in four wheel drive taking the kids to friends houses due to the snow day.

It seems the tab isn't releasing the arm from the spindle. The Dremel and eye protection are looking like an option. I did notice that there are a couple of small screws holding the tab in place, but I'd never be able to get at them unless I got the arm off. Don't you just love catch 22 situations.

Everything works fine. I'll just wait for it to stop snowing and maybe a little sunshine in the afternoon to try again. Maybe I'm being too picky, but since I just bought the truck I am trying to get it the way I want it.

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
Hey Binky can you get some penetrating oil into the cavity, maybe get one of those red plastic nozzles can jet it up into the cavity without going everwher else too bad

1 - 17 of 17 Posts