Diesel Place banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just installed a van aaken smartbox E (hot) in my 02 Chev crewcab shortbox 4X4 duramax. Other than running 265/75r16 yokohoma ATs, everything else is stock.

I ended up going with the van aaken box because of dealer recommendations. DSG out of Saskatoon recommended it because van aakens programing is "the best for the duramax". When asked about Bully Dog, Edge, and Banks, their reply was "i'll sell you whatever you want, but the van aaken works the best and costs the least."
Bully Dog "not recommended",
Edge "works, not as well and more money"
Banks " good stuff but expensive"

Anyways ended up buying the smartbox on Ebay from Steve's diesel. Here are my impressions.

Stock: 0-60 10-11 secs
90hp: 0-60 7sec
150hp 0-60 7 sec and smoke

Results are highly accurate as i timed myself. lol

Drivability seems unchanged in the 90 hp setting. Throttle sensitivity is the same and the transmission shifts smooth. Passing power is unbelievable (50-70 mph). I am planning on leaving the box on the 90 hp setting as i have no futher plans for mods (especially the trans).

·
Registered
308 Posts
what are you running for a tranny? stock or upgraded? Any slipping on 150?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i am running the stock tranny. I only did 2 runs to 60 on the 150 and could smell hot (no egt) the trans temp rose some but i didn't sense any slippage. the smartbox is supposed to detune when slippage is detected and it didn't

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts
The 150HP level is far too much power for the stock transmission. There are limits to what the trans protect can and cannot do. If the TCC is unlocked (98+% of a 0-60 run in normal mode) it will not detect the slip.

The 110 is the highest level recommended for a stock trans, The 125 is really pushing the line.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts