Diesel Place banner

Report overheating and inj harness to NHTSA

857 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  cadent45 
#1 ·
All,

I am not a GM basher. My DMax is a great truck and I have had a flawless experience with it so far. I realize that several of you have had frustrating experiences with these trucks, and I recently found an avenue to possibly bring about some good from this misfortune.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has a website. They have an office that deals specifically with consumer complaints of manufacturer defects that adversely affect a vehicle's safety (Office of Defects Investigation). Here's a snippet from their homepage:

Your complaint information will be entered into NHTSA's vehicle owner's complaint database and used with other complaints to determine if a safety-related defect trend exists.
  • If a safety-related defect exists in a motor vehicle or item of motor vehicle equipment, the manufacturer must fix it at no cost to the owner. Your complaint is the first step in the process.
  • Government engineers analyze the problem. If warranted, the manufacturer is asked to conduct a recall. If the manufacturer does not initiate a recall, the government can order the manufacturer to initiate a recall.
  • We do not have to receive a specific number of complaints before we look into a problem. We gather all available information on a problem. Your complaint is important to us.
Here is the website: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

It appears the key to having the NHTSA take an interest in a vehicle manufacturer's product is how a potential defect relates to the safety of that product. I believe that both the LLY overheating issue and the failing injector harness issue have real safety consequences (towing heavy and being forced into limp mode, impeding traffic or being stranded on a long grade or low-visibility section of highway) for the vehicle owner and other motorists.

I believe(hope) that enough complaints may cause the NHTSA to take a look at these issues and force GM's hand with issuing a recall to correct these defects. I urge everyone who has experienced these problems, even if the problem was resolved to your satisfaction, to visit the above website and file a formal complaint. I suggest emphasizing the safety-related aspect of the defect.

None of us is as strong as all of us!

P.S. If I am way off-base here, let me know!

See less See more
#2 ·
Also, the website lists all recalls sorted by year, make and model. There are currently seven listed for 2005 GMC Sierra pickups (Fuel line, parking brake, hydroboost steering, transmission gear indicator, rear seat belt, steering shaft, hydroboost brakes).

#3 ·
I just searched on '05 C/K 2500 and it showed Fabtech pitman arm as a recall

NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 06E010000

Hope this helps somebody get some free parts!

#4 ·
Thanks for the info. on the site. At least we can be prepared and knowledgeable when we take our trucks to the dealer.

#5 ·
I have personally have used this site and filed a complaint for the overheating on my 2004.5, which was eventually bought back by GM. From my experience, the government engineers on this site must be the same people that were in charge of Katrina relief or weapons inspections in Iraq or Intel on weapons programs in Iraq, or …….? I am not a government basher, I served proudly in the USAF and believe in our countries fight for freedom. That being said, no one, yes no one acknowledged my complaint and I have yet to hear from anyone at this office, and I filed this in July of 2004. At least GM eventually acknowledged my problem. Don't rely on this agency to do anything unless lives have been lost and the media brings it to their attention.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.