Diesel Place banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a quick report from WI DOT on fees and penalties assessed for using dyed fuel for on-road use.

http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/library/research/docs/finalreports/02-08off-roadfueltax-f.pdf

Scroll down to pages 67 thru 71 to see a listing of fines and penalties for WI and surrounding states.

The one that really caught my attention was where 'all dyed fuel and the vehicle it's in can be siezed and sold by the states agents if caught using dyed fuel for on-road applications' !!!!!! WOW! Now THATS an expensive fine!!!!!

This report is from 2002, so it is probably a bit dated now; but it's still a good point of reference.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I would like to know their response to "I treat my diesel with Marvel Mystery Oil, the oil is red..."... :eek:

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
If they suspect you are using Off-Road diesel, they will pull a sample and have it chemically analyzed in their lab. Doesn't matter what color the fuel is if the lab test show that the fuel has the teltale additive's chemical properties. The red color is used for a quick visual test, but the lab test will confirm it.

·
Registered
11,955 Posts

·
Registered
11,955 Posts
Seems to be a bit of problem in this forum with thread getting drug off topic. This is a tech forum about fluids and thier properties, discussion on taxation and weather its right wrong or indifferent has no place in these thread in this forum. This isnt a case of "If you dont like it dont read it" Becasue when a member wants to know if they can run red fuel in thier truck dosnt want to have to wade through 3 pages of name calling and political discussion on if its right or not. If you wish to make them awear that running died fuel on the road is illegal you may post info about the actual laws or link other political discussions but NOT go into your personal believes on if its right or wrong to avoid taxes.

I dont care who starts it.......if you see it happen report the post if you wish but if you answer it you will be considered just as guilty. Members that derail topics into a political discussion will be given time off from the fluid discussion forum. No need to respond, no need to argue. Just dont take things OT. This is your only warning.

·
Registered
16,080 Posts
rags963;1604803; said:
I would like to know their response to "I treat my diesel with Marvel Mystery Oil, the oil is red..."... :eek:
I have been doing that for a month now. I carry a bottle in the truck just in case. I would think the color would be different than straight red fuel.

·
Registered
868 Posts
I doubt that red fuel is winterized.

·
Registered
38 Posts
In my area the off road is winterized. Just because it's winter doesn't mean tractors and off road equipment are not being used. They need to be treated for winter use just like on road fuel is. The only real difference in most cases is the road tax and the color.

·
Registered
868 Posts
The heating oil I am delivered for heating the home is red dyed number 2. I would not want that winterized, as the tank is in the warm basement, and winterized fuel has less BTU per gallon. I hope they are not winterizing the heating oil.

·
Registered
150 Posts
k1xv;1613083; said:
I doubt that red fuel is winterized.
Yes it is... at least what we get is...

·
Registered
150 Posts
k1xv;1613257; said:
The heating oil I am delivered for heating the home is red dyed number 2. I would not want that winterized, as the tank is in the warm basement, and winterized fuel has less BTU per gallon. I hope they are not winterizing the heating oil.
Suggest that you ask supplier, some do because some tanks are outsice... you have a good point though...

·
Registered
150 Posts
MGlickLBZ;1612411; said:
I have been doing that for a month now. I carry a bottle in the truck just in case. I would think the color would be different than straight red fuel.
My best guess is that the quart of MMO in a tank of fuel is not going to be very red when dipped. But I am told that any color will get you a citation... but I have to believe that the officer (I hope that the officer) would use some discretion... all depend on what state you are in and the mood he is in... IMHO

1 - 13 of 13 Posts