Diesel Place banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan on replacing my crankshaft sensor tomorrow due to a code my truck is throwing, i surfed the threads and best i can tell after install you need to either due the tech2 procedure(not available to me) or unplug the pcm for 10 min or so and it should "relearn"....the pcm is behind the glove box right? any suggestions on what to do?

2,424 Posts
You better plan lots of time not needing the truck. That sensors is known for fighting for every last crumb to come out of the hole.

2,424 Posts
i have in the past on other crank sensors that i didnt have any thing left to work with of the sensor. use a dry wall screw and a torch. heat the screw and push into the plastic of the sensor. hold the screw still and give it a chance to cool off. what you are fighting is corosion above the o ring and its about 1/2 inch down.
If all else fails the timing cover would have to come off. than it is really easy to remove the sensor.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
i have in the past on other crank sensors that i didnt have any thing left to work with of the sensor. use a dry wall screw and a torch. heat the screw and push into the plastic of the sensor. hold the screw still and give it a chance to cool off. what you are fighting is corosion above the o ring and its about 1/2 inch down.
If all else fails the timing cover would have to come off. than it is really easy to remove the sensor.

thanks I may try that.... should i try pulling on the wire until they break? how hard is it to pull the timing cover?

2,424 Posts
if the wires are sitll intack you could wait till you have more time as long as the sensor has not been pushed any deeper. you could drive it and come back to it.

·
Premium Member
1,635 Posts
Its in the timing cover right behind the power steering pump

·
Registered
95 Posts
Is the timing cover hard to remove, I guess more to the point is can I remove/replace the cover without any in-depth work? I think this sensor is shot in my truck and want to replace a $35 sensor before the IP.

·
Premium Member
1,635 Posts
It involves removing the water pump, harmonic balancer and all surrounding items, it took me two days to do mine, spray it down with pb blaster for a few days before trying to remove.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
may be able to remove the balancer and seal to get inside the timing cover with a small prybar or screwdriver to pry it out

·
Registered
116 Posts
I know this is an old post but it's the one that comes up for the crankshaft sensor removal and replace. I just had a battle with mine and I came up with a super easy way to do it.

I removed the bolt holding the metal bracket on the sensor, pulled on the wires till they broke. (to make a smooth end free of wires)
I took a flat bar piece of steel and drilled a hole in the center. Then I drilled a small hole in the plastic part of the sensor. I used the flat bar like a puller. As I tightened the screw into the sensor it pulled it right out. EASY
This is what it looked like.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Thanks for sharing .Pics are invaluable

1 - 13 of 13 Posts