Diesel Place banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen it mentioned in a couple of threads but no one seems to go into detail about how to remove glow plug #4 (I believe that's the correct number, the one RIGHT behind the steering column).

I've seen multiple people say they can get it out/replace it without disconnecting the steering column but how? I try to pull my steering column a little bit to give me an extra 1/4 inch of room but it's still not enough.

Is there any trick? Certain tools you are using? Please help! I have replcaed them all but can't get that one last one out!

Thank you.

·
Administrator
15,956 Posts

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Disconnecting the steering columns is very easy. Just make sure you DO NOT MOVE your steering wheel while disconnected. No special tools needed this way and you don't jeopardize damaging the extraction or insertion of the new glow plug.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Disconnecting the steering columns is very easy. Just make sure you DO NOT MOVE your steering wheel while disconnected. No special tools needed this way and you don't jeopardize damaging the extraction or insertion of the new glow plug.
Yea I'm trying to get that bolt off...I've shot it a couple of times with a penetrating oil...I'll try again tonight. Once I disconnect it ...will the steering wheel free fall? If it's cocked a little, it'll probably fall back to center and mess things up....or is this just a don't turn the wheel with it disconnected thing.

Aka - Do I need to secure/tie up my steering wheel? I've seen people talk about that but not quite sure how to go about it.

Thanks for your response!

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
You just don't want the steering wheel to rotate after being disconnected from the steering box. When disconnected, the steering wheel will turn very easily, perhaps more easily that you ever imagined. I would straighten the wheels, then do the work. I used some painters tape to tie the steering wheel to the column. Effective, chap, easy to use. One benefit to not turning the wheel at all is that it will very easily match up with the steering box attachment point. I didn't have any problems removing the bolt. Perhaps you live in the salt belt??

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
Been awhile but when I removed the steering shaft bolt I think the nut stays in place and the bolt just backs out.

·
Registered
615 Posts
For some reason, I've had to change #4 glow plug 4 times. All others only 2x. I've never disconnected the steering shaft. I use a swivel head ratchet (I think it's 12mm) to loosen it. Upon install I use a thread lubricant paste (normally used for spark plugs) to prevent corrosion. None of my glow plugs have been a problem to remove.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I found a really simple way to get glow plug 4 out!

Classic Goldilocks story. I had a standard 12 mm socket that was too shallow to grip the nut on the glow plug. I had a deep 12 mm socket that would grip the glow plug but left me with ZERO room to maneuver the socket with enough force to brake the glow plug free. Then I found it. The perfect middle ground socket at Home Depot.

The socket is deep enough to get on the glow plug's nut, still leaving you room to probably work a socket wrench onto it. But I didn't even fool with a socket wrench. The end of the socket is squared off (like a nut) so you can easily get a standard wrench on the end (19mm) - gives you PLENTY of torque with no fuss. SUPER EASY.

Hope this helps someone!

Attachments

·
Registered
615 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts