Diesel Place banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
:cool2:

As far as the difficulty goes, I think it would be moderately difficult. Seems to me that the Cummins would be longer than the 6.2, and the firewall might have to be cut some. Don't know about that for sure though. Other than that, it wouldn't be too bad. Just fabricating some hefty mounts/adapters, finding a tranny that would work/fit, and perhaps a driveshaft change. Come to think of it though, the Blazer is a rather short 4WD, and this could complicate things.

DCamilleri has a Cummins in his Suburban, maybe he will have input on this.

·
Super Moderator
5,988 Posts
If you have a line on a cheap engine and have a lot of fabrication skills, it won't be bad. Better plan on having a total drivetrain package however, because 1/2 ton axles won't hold up to the cummins for long:eek: and you will need u joints and drivelines and a beefy tranny and............Stay with the 6.2 or a modded 6.5 and add a turbo, you will still need to beef the drive train cause you will still be able to break it.:grd:

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
howabout using a turbo 'd cummins 4bt like the bread vans and ups looking vans have used. heard of two in my area of the world using them in 80;s suburban . alot of those vans had turbo 400's behind them. can make 210 hp. get out of length problems . I would have done this to my 84 half ton instead of the 6.5. if I would have known about it. I will try harder to connect with the friend of a friend. maybe some pics.http://portland.craigslist.org/car/127357184.html came across a jeep rock crawler for sale localy with a 4bt in it

·
Super Moderator
5,988 Posts
In stock form the 4bt is fairly weak only 105 hp and 250 torque +-. I can get 150 rwhp from a na 6.5:eek:

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
While the stock trimmed 4bt may be weak, the beauty of it falls back to how easily they are modified. Nearly all goodies for the Dodge's 6BT can be put on or in a 4bt to improve its power. Assuming you get a p-pumped 4BT, you can use the same inj.(stock 215s would do wonders; not to mention the 300's or 370s which would need a bigger charge to keep cool), DV, GSK, etc. While these changes make great advancements in power on the 6BT, they won't make as much difference on the 4bt due to the smaller displacement BUT they will still increase its ability greatly. I think it would be a great pick for this application with some of those goodies. Can't see why 300HP can't be realiably put out by this great little engine with fairly minimal adjustments.

Any thoughts on any of this? Am I way off base on my logic? (I really don't think so but maybe I'm missing something pretty key - it happens)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
6.2 banks

what would i have to do to the drivetrain to support turbod 6.2, rebuild 700r4 tranny or do some things to transfer case?

·
Super Moderator
5,988 Posts
700r4 would be questionable as to how long it would last. Transfercase is fine, rear axle could be next victim.

·
Super Moderator
5,988 Posts
Depends on how good the rebuild is, what temp it runs at and how you treat it. I have had good luck with 700r4's with low gears in the axles, but they don't fare as well with high gears. The weak links I have had with 700's have been torque converters. Usually no warning, bang and you are stuck in need of a tow. I just went through my daughters 700 in her blazer after the torque converter puked and everything else was perfect, so I got lucky, just reseal and new torque converter. We will see how long it lasts behind her new n/a 6.5 with 35 inch tires:rolleyes: and a lead foot:eek:

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Seems like it would be a cool project for a Jeep or something...

·
Registered
382 Posts
well poop on my party:( :(

I'm planning on putting a turbo to my 6.2-700R4. Don't plan on much towing so I was looking at higher gearing for MPGs.

What about the re-builds I see on eBay & internet? Is there a "better" torque converter to get?

Man, this is hard enough to figure out WHAT to get! Then it's find and install!:help:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts