Diesel Place banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
How is this for a replacement lift pump?

Flows 72 gph, max psi is 8, 1/4" inlet/outlet.

Uses a vane design no points or seals works with leaded and unleaded gasoline and gasahol.

I don't know how much the fuel system will need volumewise though, 72 gph might not be enough.

Jon

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
Should work. iirc that is the stock lift pump for Dodge.

·
Registered
825 Posts
AC Delco EP309

Just bought off eBay an AC Delco EP309 which fits the 6.5 GM Diesels. I plan on using it with my Racor 690 whenever I figure out where it will all fit. Any thoughts on using the 6.5 fuel lift pump for a Dmax

·
Registered
346 Posts
Will diesel fuel have any impact on this pump?

·
Registered
551 Posts
If its not rated for diesel fuel, I would be hesitant to buy it. Diesel of course is much thicker and heavier than gasoline, and it also breaks down ordinary rubber components over time. If they didn't use nitrile rubber in it, the pump won't last long with diesel.

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
If it is Cummins replacement I'd say don't use it unless in parallel with OEM pump & check valve, it isn't flow thru on fail, so if pump stops so do you.

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts
These pumps do not typically last AND when they quit so do you right now, no if's and's or but's. I had one on my 96 and when it died I was glad that I had looped hose onto the factory lines. I ended up bypassing it and running with no pump just so that I could drive the truck. They also growl pretty good. Dmaxallitech had one of these Carters on his 2003 Dmax and ended up bypassing it Xmas eve 2004 when it quit.

I would recommend the AC Delco units OR if you want to put one on that won't die, we have the same KD pump that we use on the Dmax available.

Some time back I made fittings for the 6.5 lift pump to adapt to 1/2" hose for a Dmax. The 6.5 pump has a fair service life in the Dmax application from what I have seen.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
The 1/4" ports are way too small. The stock configuation is 1/2"

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What is the fuel line inner diameter at the lift pump on the 6.5?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Hey Puckett,

If I was you I would go with a AC Delco pump they seem to last the longest. I would also get JK's Lift pump control harness, I got it last summer after I had my 3rd or 4th OPS go bad. have not had a problem after that... Dont cheep out on a lift pump or you will be looking for a IP next..

Later
Johnny

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts
The 6.5 has pretty small steel lines that 3/8" hose slips over pretty easily. If you've ever changed a GM TBI fuel filter, that is the size.

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
Hey Max Lover this here is a 6.5 playpen :D , we are serious about it too so you got to get yer story straight :lol: take that in comradere/rivalry/jest it was intended in, thanks for offering assist. For your reading pleasure and rest of the 6.5 audience

GM has got it all wrong I invite you to look at this post I've studied on it some:;)
http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42291&highlight=feeding+beast

GM pump fittings are 1/2" thread but actual diameter thru the fittings & pumps ID is .275" give or take a tic mark on my ruler with that spinning thing I think I once'd heard called a vernier caliper.

Then with all the wisdom they could muster plumbed it to the filter manager with 3/8" od tube, then feed the IP with a swizzle stick diameter tube. They got it rite on Maxes (at least bigger lines IIRC 1/2" tube there) but sure dropped the ball on us 6.5 guys. Of course GM never figureed on us diehards trying to milk out almost another 75-100 crank Hp out of the 6.5 needing all fuel we can get.

John's kit should do well for the 6.5 I'm working it my way as I've got a "aquired pump" to play with, just need the time to :grd:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts