Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my ongoing effort to develop a list of mod's while I am waiting to get a Duramax, I have came to replacement bulbs. I already plan on putting amber DRL's in when it comes, but what about headlights. I would like to go to HID's or something that gives a brighter, whiter light without putting out too much money. What does everyone reccommend??

·
Registered
6,066 Posts
Phillis Ralleye bulbs.. got up. 100W highs and 85W lows.. lots more light

·
Registered
35 Posts
I've got a Kennedy headlight harness with Silverstar low beams (DOT approved) and 100W Hella highbeams (Non DOT approved). I have seen others with the Silverstars running on the OEM wiring, they are not nearly as bright as mine with the larger wire of the Kennedy kit. The kit also lets the low beams burn when you turn the high beams on. Puts out an impressive amount of light. I really hate driving anyone elses vehicle at night now. IIRC, total cost of the setup (bulbs and harness) was about $175. Much cheaper than HIDs at the time, but I've noticed that prices are coming down a little on the kits. I've also seen aftermarket projector lens assemblies available, but nobody mentions using them.

·
Registered
6,066 Posts
i thought the fogs melted if you put brgihter bulbs in. didn't mac do that???

also has anyone seen teh silverstar's next to the ralleye bulbs? i haven't seen the silverstar's... do they look blue? my ralleye's don't and i like it that way...

thanks

Nick

·
Registered
540 Posts
Diesel Power

I thought the high watt Phillip bulbs were discontinued?? Where did you get them? I had Eiko''s and they are terrible. I've gone through 3 sets in the 21k I've owned the truck.

SWLA, where did you find 100w Hellas?? Sounds what I might like.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Diesel Power said:
i thought the fogs melted if you put brgihter bulbs in. didn't mac do that???

also has anyone seen teh silverstar's next to the ralleye bulbs? i haven't seen the silverstar's... do they look blue? my ralleye's don't and i like it that way...

thanks

Nick

Nick,

The Silverstars are not blue, they are bright white.

Blue=Lame
/high school

·
Banned
1,492 Posts
We run silverstars in everything we own.Best bang for the buck.You will love'm in a snow storm.

·
Registered
405 Posts
The PIAA's are also good. They don't increase the amperage on the stock wiring.........

·
Registered
35 Posts
Nick,

As Lightning said the Silverstars are not blue. Seem to be as close to pure white as any bulb I've seen. I never noticed how yellow the halogen bulbs were until I used these.

First Diesel,

This is where I got the Hellas:

http://pickuptruck.performancecenter.com/products/?productID=501309

I know that some have reported a shorter than expected life from the Silverstars, but I've had had them for almost 2 years without any problems. Same for the Hellas.

·
Registered
819 Posts
I got the Kennedy harness and went with 70W lows and 130W highs. They are Ichibahn and bluer that I would like.
They are brighter than SilverStars with and w/o the Kennedy as tested side by side at our last GTG here in big D. With the highs and lows on at the same time, I rarely have to flash someone twice to get them to drop their high beams.
I looked at the Hellas, but didn't want to go all the way to 85 for the lows. I don't like to push my illegal luck.
Edited by: chuntag95

·
Registered
6,066 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Nick,

The only Ralley bulbs I see are not the 9005 and 9006 sort. Did you order them from their online site or did you call them?

This is where I was looking for the 9005 and 9006 Ralleys as I'm on my last set.

http://www.powerbulbs.com/rallye.htm

·
Registered
6,066 Posts
i ordered them over the web. i think that was the site as i had it bookmarked. i know the place was in the UK..

·
Registered
540 Posts
How long ago did you order them. I know Kennedy saidf that the Phillips high wattage bulbs were going out of production. Maybe they are gone.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I bought the Phillips Premium's from powerbulbs.com about a year (30k miles) ago. They must be right on the edge because I'll get flashed every once in a while and was never flashed prior to upgrading. Not an aiming problem, just a brighter bulb. Nice and white and no need for upgrading the headlight harness. Big improvement over stock. Can't imagine throwing more light and still being legal but maybe the silverstar's do.

·
Registered
540 Posts
HDLD

You need to rethink that "no need to upgrade the harness thing". It's not the fact that the bulbs are brighter with the harness. It's the fact that the factory wire is undersized, look at it sometime. You will burn up the wires or the switch eventually. I look at an upgraded harness as cheap insurance with the bonus of brighter lights.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts