Diesel Place banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a drip of fuel coming out of the button of my transfer pump, so I went to Cummins and purchased a new one. No problems installing the pump. started truck, it ran weak, but was drivable. After sitting for about 3 hours truck would not start. I figured I had a air leak in the system, so I pushed on the manual button and listened for the leak. The fitting on top of the fuel heater was a bit loose, so I tightened it and pushed on the button agian. No more sound of leaking air so I figured I was good to go. I filled the fuel filter, and started the truck. it produced white smoke for about 20 seconds but after that seemed to run fine. I took if for a test drive and the truck died about 1/8th of mile from my house. towed it back home and the fuel filter housing was empty. I couldn't find any leaks anywhere. I filled the housing again, started the truck and let it idle. two minutes into it the engine died. the filter housing was empty again. At my wits end, I replaced the new pump with the old one. I know it was working before. Anyway, after installing the old pump I am having the exact same problems! the truck starts, smokes for about 20 seconds, then runs fine for about 1 minute 30 seconds. I have bled the system until I am blue in the face. I am about to have it towed into the local Cummins dealer, I am running out of ides. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
365 Posts
jrs240,

Assuming both pumps do work and are still not drawing fuel from the tank, something might be blocking the line out of the tank.

OR.....You somehow put the pumps in backwards. I know, I just did that on my extra fuel tank.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Post your question here www.dieseltruckresource.com They can help you out. From the sounds of it you have a 12 valve with the transfer pump on the side of the engine below the fuel filter? Did the old pump have a push rod on it that might have fell out I don't know if they have this but it sounds like your pump is not working at all until you manuely fill it with the hand pump. I may be wrong but it seems like I read about a actuator rod that may fall out when the pump is removed?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts