Diesel Place banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced my factory shocks today with a set of Bilsteins (ordered from Kennedy Diesel). Truck had 10,000 miles on the stockers-- man I would have never believed the improvement in the ride
. My DMAX now rides better than it did brand new- no more pogoing or that floating feeling that i had come to expect
. These shocks are well worth the money I don't think anyone would be disappointed. They were no problem to install it took less than 1 hour for the complete job. The stock shocks could be easily collasped and expanded by hand once they were off the truck-- where do they get those things

Harvey

·
Registered
600 Posts
Do the rears too, they're easier than the fronts. You will be happy.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did replace all 4. Very happy with the improved ride.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I could tell the difference with mine as soon as I backed out of the shop, at the first little 1 inch drop off. They're great for country road driving with big dips which used to make me pogo up and down several cycles after the bump. They're not as exceptional (but still much better than stock) for highway / interstate driving with fast and repetitive changes in surfaces creating smaller irregularities much more frequently. There you will still feel the rough road although it will be much more controlled. But we're driving real trucks, not lighweight trucks built on a car platform, so that should be acceptable. Overall, I think the Bilsteins are the single best improvement I've made, to any vehicle I've owned (cost - benefit comparison.) That is considering not just the quality of the Bilsteins, but also the total LACK of quality of the stock shocks. They are a pitiful excuse for a suspension component. I think if GM wants to be SO CHEAP that they offer the same stock shocks, they ought to at least offer the Bilsteins as a factory option. Knowing what I know now, I'd gladly pay the upcharge to get something worthy of the rest of the truck.

OK, I'll step down from the soapbox. (You can tell I have strong feelings here. Coming from a long line of Toyota owners, and having owned numerous Toyotas before finally buying my D/A, AND being a GM stockholder - with no real hope of making money there as long as they continue to run a business the way they do -- shocks, rear differential fluid, front steering components, etc. -- I am amazed by the quality of MOST of my truck, and the sheer lack of quality of some of it's components. Schizophrenic!)Edited by: 2fast2

·
Registered
646 Posts
Welcome to the list of satisfied Bilstein believers. Everytime I drove down a familiar road for the first time with the Bilsteins on, I would talk to myself out loud about how different the ride was! I see the biggest difference on the big dips that the OEM shocks refused to dampen and on ranch (dirt) roads.

·
Registered
78 Posts
SC DMAX could you please post the p/n's for the shocks.

Thanks (2004 d/a with 3,700 mi. enjoying it more and more, especially now I'm starting to tow, what a difference from my 95 Suburban).

·
Registered
162 Posts
Congrats on the new Bilstein shocks. Anything is better than the stockers for sure.... Edited by: Chevyfreek

·
Registered
326 Posts
I installed Rancho 9000's instead, but shocks were one of the first things I did. Big improvement.Edited by: JimWilson

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Part numbers for the truck is BE5-6081 HO front and BE5-6082 HO rear. I recommend just calling JK at Kennedy diesel and tell him you want a set. He will ship the ones that you need $260 delivered to your door, in the US, and you don't have to worry about getting the wrong part. Took about a week for me to get them in South Carolina. You won't regret getting the shocks or doing business with John.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
My Rancho RSX9000 fronts are on backorder and they won't ship the 4 until Friday at the earliest.

·
Registered
704 Posts
OK, you pushed me over the edge and I had to order a set from JK. He shipped them out same day. Can't beat that kind of service.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Out of all the various add-ons to my truck, the Bilsteins were definately the best investment I have made to date
. I also ordered from Kennedy and was very pleased
with the service and his website.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Since I don't haul much the best thing I did to improve the ride was to flip the bottom leaf over. The rear suspension no longer hammers on the short spring. It rides as good or better that my old Z71 did. If the roads get much rougher I will get the Bilsteins.

·
Registered
772 Posts
When I first put on my Bilsteins I thought they were a little harsh, not objectionable, but noticeable. Now that they've been on for over a year they seem to have smoothed out a bit. Maybe I'm just used to them, but I could tell the OE's were crap from the moment I drove off the dealer's lot. Anyway, I love the way the truck rides with the Bilsteins. It is smooth and totally controlled. The shocks do a very good job when we are towing our new 8,500lbs trailer, as well. Theoretically, the adjustability of the Ranchos might be better in that regard, but I don't notice any deficiencies that need to be addressed. The rear shocks control the load with the heavy tongue just as well as without.

TC

·
Registered
509 Posts
Maybe I've been driving trucks for too many years instead of cars. I find the stock ride to be out-flippin-standing for a 3/4 ton truck. I guess, from what everyone says, it improves if the shocks are changed but I really don't see any need to change until the stock shocks need replacement. In other threads many have said they wished we could get straight axles instead of the IFS. if you don't like the ride of the IFS you damn sure wouldn't like it with straight axles!! I think soem of you should have stayed in your Escalade or Lexus!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
If only you could get a Duramax in an Escalade!!!!!!!

·
Registered
509 Posts
There was a post a week or so back where someone put an Escalde body on a dually. Really looked sharp!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts