Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm presently doing my rear brakes (replacing rotors and pads on both sides). When I removed the rear rotor on the passenger side, one of the parking brake pads just fell off its mounting plate. The drivers side parking brake pads look fine. So I'd like to replace the parking brake shoes on the passenger side: should I also replace the pads on the drivers side as well (i.e. should parking brake pads be replaced as pairs on both sides of the axle)?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
No. If the pads look fine and are adjusted properly, it's not a problem.

Can you see why the pads on the passenger side went bad [as in, why did it fall off]?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would imagine due to the truck's age is the reason they fell apart... the truck was built in late-2002 and this is its first brake job. I have only put on about 110,000 miles since it was new. I went ahead and installed new rotors and pads on all 4 corners following member Heymccall's brake advice.

I bought new parking brake shoes at Napa and they came with gear for both sides, so I went ahead and changed both sides out. Just for the record (and anyone searching the forum in the future): the parking brake shoes on a 2003 Silverado 2500/3500HD CAN be changed without removing the rear axle hub and seal. It is a bit of fiddling, but is most certainly faster and cheaper than changing axle seals that are still fine.

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
14,363 Posts
Since I doubt you can buy just one set of shoes, why not replace both?

·
Bac To The Future
23,029 Posts
Rock Auto sells parking brake shoes for CHEAP! Just do both sides.

Id bet you've got a partially-seized parking brake cable holding that one side out, or you had a wheels seal fail and contaminate the pb pads.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Both rear axle seals are good to go... the cable's status requires more pondering with beer haha!

·
Bac To The Future
23,029 Posts
I just did both wheel seals and the pass side pb cable. I got lucky to catch it early, as the pb pads were still ok. But, I did research their cost on RockAuto.

PB cable was easy to test (hit pedal, look at cables for compression -- release pedal, check if they both opened back up fully), not expensive, and relatively easy to replace....except for bonehead me reattaching it to the front splitter secondly instead of firstly. I had to get creative with that (involved a pair of vicegrips, a clamp and a pair of pliers). But its done.....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts