Diesel Place banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems that I gelled up last night at -8.. I put some power service 911 in and got the truck home. I was throwing P0087. So I start it up this morning and she runs fine. Should I swap out the fuel filter? It was just changed less than 1,000 miles ago..

Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,796 Posts
If it gelled, I'd replace the filter. It is cheap insurance if the filter media has been compromised.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
335 Posts
BudTX;1605603; said:
If it gelled, I'd replace the filter. It is cheap insurance if the filter media has been compromised.
Exactly. There are different opinions on this but its better to be safe than sorry if you ask me. $30 and 15 minutes of your time can save you alot of headaches.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,958 Posts
SnowBandit;1605482; said:
It seems that I gelled up last night at -8.. I put some power service 911 in and got the truck home. I was throwing P0087. So I start it up this morning and she runs fine. Should I swap out the fuel filter? It was just changed less than 1,000 miles ago..

Thanks
Wow, you seem to have the worst luck with fuel gelling. Remind me not to move to Maine. Sorry to hear about your luck, again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
762 Posts
Does gelling happen while driving or just when trying to start the truck, i ran out of gas or so i thought, gauge said a 1/4 tank left, never been wrong b4 and seems accurate now. it was 4 deg F when this happened at 70mph on the interstate, did my gauge screw up temporarily or did i gell up?
Please help,
Thanks
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,683 Posts
It probably just reached the cold filter plug point where the fuel "clouded" and wouldn't pass through the filter.

You can instantly verify filter plugging with this:

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do I need to replace the filter then Kennedy???
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,683 Posts
SnowBandit;1608342; said:
Do I need to replace the filter then Kennedy???
I don't think so. If you has a bunch of water freeze in the media and then thaw, it could destroy the media, but it doesn't really sound like it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
762 Posts
Railer24;1606019; said:
Does gelling happen while driving or just when trying to start the truck, i ran out of gas or so i thought, gauge said a 1/4 tank left, never been wrong b4 and seems accurate now. it was 4 deg F when this happened at 70mph on the interstate, did my gauge screw up temporarily or did i gell up?
Please help,
Thanks

Anybody?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,191 Posts
Railer24;1609493; said:

My guess would be it was the temp. outside at the time. Your vehicle does not feel the wind chill.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
93 Posts
railer34 do u have a diesel or a gas truck in your post u said 1/4 tank of gas.. gas wont gell diesel will its when its running and the fuel hits it cloud point and forms a waxy substance in your filter and wont let fuel pass through
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
86 Posts
Gelling is a function of the tempature of the fuel and can occure at any time.

In the past I have had trucks (KW) freeze up while driving in winter weather. Think about the slush loading up on the fuel tank. Thats ice and some kind of salt or road chemical to melt the ice/snow on the road. When I put salt on ice in my White Mountain ice cream freezer it melts the ice and freezes the liquid inside and I get ice cream. The slush can do the same to your fuel tank making the fuel colder than you think.

I change filters if I have a gelling situation. Yes the 911 stuff will melt most of the wax clearing the filter. Since filters are easy to change I just always carry one in each truck just in case I gell up. Yes even my D'Max.

I also use Power Service to guard against gelling and add lubricity.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
762 Posts
it's a diesel.
Thanks for the replys.
Now my next question is this: The tow truck driver put in 5 gal of diesel and then we had a hell of a time starting it, bled the fuel filter, pumped about 15 times and fuel came out. Truck still wouldn't start, so we pumped again and more air started coming out, pumped about 60-80 times b4 more fuel came about. Then it finally started about the 5th try after that.
So if I gelled, it wouldn't have started no matter what right?

We didn't add 911 to it. when it died i did not try cranking it till we got more fuel in..
when you gell up, does air come out of the fuel filter while priming?

Alot of questions in there, any help is appreciated. Just want to understand exactly what happened.

I'm going to start using the PS for lube and anti-gel. And get a bottle of 911, but never seen it b4. I'll have to check the auto parts store.
Thanks guys!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,958 Posts
Railer24;1613755; said:
I'm going to start using the PS for lube and anti-gel. And get a bottle of 911, but never seen it b4. I'll have to check the auto parts store.
Thanks guys!!
I've seen 911 at the local Pilot truck stop. I would suggest you look somewhere like that if there is one around.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
321 Posts
Railer24;1613755; said:
I'm going to start using the PS for lube and anti-gel. And get a bottle of 911, but never seen it b4. I'll have to check the auto parts store.
Thanks guys!!
I believe Walmart sells both of the products. Might want to check out Standyne Performance Treatment, alot of people recommend it. I have used both, and perfer the Standyne treatment it made the engine quieter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
762 Posts
ibfarmerduramax;1613831; said:
I believe Walmart sells both of the products. Might want to check out Standyne Performance Treatment, alot of people recommend it. I have used both, and perfer the Standyne treatment it made the engine quieter.
I did some research and web surfing and have decided to go with the standyne perfomance treatment. Thanks for the recommendation:hail: .
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top