Diesel Place banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<H1>Service Engine Soon (SES) Light, P0087, P0093, P1093, Low Power, No Start, Hard Start, </H1>
<H1>Fuel in Crankcase (Replace All Injectors-New Strategy for High Fuel Return Rates) </H1>
<H1>#04-06-04-007 - (02/18/2004)</H1>

Service Engine Soon (SES) Light, P0087, P0093, P1093, Low Power, No Start, Hard Start, Fuel in Crankcase (Replace All Injectors -- New Strategy for High Fuel Return Rates)

2001-2004 Chevrolet Silverado

2003-2004 Chevrolet Kodiak C4500/C5500 Series

2001-2004 GMC Sierra

2003-2004 GMC Topkick C4500/C5500 Series

with 6.6L Duramax™ Diesel Engine (VIN 1 -- RPO LB7)

<H4>Important</H4>

Before the technician begins diagnostics and repair, be sure to follow the guidelines in Corporate Service Bulletin 03-06-04-036 to avoid fuel system contamination.

<H4>Important:</H4>

'GM of Canada' dealers are required to contact the GM Technical Assistance Centre (TAC) to review the completed diagnostic worksheet and obtain a case number prior to injector replacement.

<A name=ss1-1460900><A href="http://service.gm.com/servlets/BlobShtml?ShtmlFile=1460900&evc=numSrch#ss1-1460900" target="_blank">
<H5>Condition</A></H5>

Some owners may comment on the Service Engine Soon light becoming illuminated. Upon investigation, the technician will find DTCs P0087, P0093 or P1093. Additional customer comments may include a lack of power, a fuel smell on the oil dipstick, fuel in the engine oil, fuel coming out of the crankcase breather, the engine cranks but does not run, or a hard start condition. This condition will not cause an engine misfire. Do not apply this bulletin to any diagnostic other than what is identified in the chart below. <A name=ss2-1460900><A href="http://service.gm.com/servlets/BlobShtml?ShtmlFile=1460900&evc=numSrch#ss2-1460900" target="_blank">
<H5>Cause</A></H5>

The fuel injectors have internal conditions that may cause them to return an excessive quantity of fuel to the tank, as well as leak fuel into the crankcase. Due to the return flow and/or leakage, the fuel injection pump may not be able to build up adequate fuel rail pressure. <A name=ss3-1460900><A href="http://service.gm.com/servlets/BlobShtml?ShtmlFile=1460900&evc=numSrch#ss3-1460900" target="_blank">
<H5>Correction</A></H5>

<H4>Important</H4>

Before the technician begins diagnostics and repair, be sure to follow the guidelines in Corporate Service Bulletin 03-06-04-036 to avoid fuel system contamination.

Follow current diagnostics for the condition the vehicle is experiencing, then reference the table below. If the diagnostics lead to Fuel System Diagnosis - High Pressure Side, follow the diagnostic until the Fuel Injector Return Flow is measured at each cylinder bank return connection (bank to bank).
<TABLE width="100%" border=1><T><T><T><T>
<T>
<TR>
<TH align=middle>

Condition </TH>
<TH vAlign=bottom align=middle>

Start with this eSI Diagnostic in the Diagnostic Information and Procedures sub-section of the Engine Controls Section</TH></TR>
<TR>
<TD vAlign=center align=middle>

Delayed Start</TD>

Hard Start</TD></TR>
<TR>

Lack of Power</TD>

Lack of Power, Sluggishness or Sponginess</TD></TR>
<TR>

Engine Cranks but Does Not Run</TD>

Engine Cranks but Does Not Run</TD></TR>
<TR>

Fuel in Oil or Fuel leak out of breather</TD>

Fuel In Engine Oil in Engine Mechanical</TD></TR>
<TR>

DTC P0087</TD>

DTC P0087</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD vAlign=

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
You are the MAN!!!

This one will be printed in color and framed!!!

Can I take mine back and have the other 6 replaced? LOL

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
THey must have released that sucker after I went to bed, I couldnt pull it up to when I went to bed at 10:00 pm... got it this morning though!

Probably the best news for d-max owners to come in a LONG time!!

It sucks for the techs, only getting 8 hours to replace them all, Willing to bet that most cant do it in time

·
Registered
349 Posts
That is good news. Unless I'm reading it wrong though, it seems that the reasoning is to save labor costs? For as much as GM charges for the injectors it would seem you could keep a tech employed for a month. I'm probably misunderstanding it though.

·
Banned
6,541 Posts
The scariest part of that TSB is it doesn't address the corroded fuel lines.

They should also be replaced.

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
Hoot, your dead on, hopefully the techs will inspect them enough, after seeing yours cut apart, I dont risk it at all. I think the part number uses the same injectors, just batched in groups of 4 now. As soon as we update out parts computers, (every friday i think) I will check the price and see, but I bet the cost of them went down big time.

Maynard, the labor cut isnt that drastic, cuts about 1.5 hours from the job if doing all 8 before. I think they will save some time for sure in the diagnosis part though, they dont ask us to do return volume tests anymore, just a few quick checks and then replace. The diagnostics is where a large amount of money was spent. And the accuracy of the diagnostics had alot of variables that may be overlooked, including fuel api.

·
Registered
994 Posts
So their selling injectors in Four Packs now!!

This bulletin is a good first step!! Hopefully they get the price of those four packs way down.

·
Registered
197 Posts
So, does GM now have confidence that the new (i.e. most recent) injectors will not fail at the same rate as the older units? This would seem to be the case. Otherwise, they would realize there is no benefit to replacing all 8 if there is no reduction in potentail failure rates.

·
Banned
2,067 Posts
Great news. I have a few questions. Will the new labor time of 8 hours apply to non-warranty customers? Will the injector price for non-warranty customers be the previous price of 540.00 each or the GM direct price of 2-240 each?

I do believe all of our belly acking has payed off. See, it pays to be vocal!

·
Registered
233 Posts
I believe that someone mentioned in another post that GM keeps the old injectors (cores). Does anyone know if the "new" replacement injectors will be brand new or "rebuilt and labeled as new"?

Mike

·
Registered
2020 Chevy 2500HD LTZ Z71
644 Posts
I wonder if one of you resourceful folks in the know would also post the TSB referred to near the top of this one - 03-06-04-036 JUL 03 Injector Service Precautions - it would be kinda nice to have them together.

Thanks,

Kevin

·
Registered
430 Posts
Previous posts on this mentioned either a limited lifetime warrently or a 250,000 mile warrently on injectors. Any truth to this?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts