Diesel Place banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have spent many hours lurking around reading posts and learning tricks to better maintenance for my Dmax. I bought a 2001 Dmax CC 4X4, allison, with 88,000 miles about 6 months ago. Before I bought it, I had a service writer friend run a warranty report for it. It had no previous warranty work done, with the exception of one dash switch at 16,000 miles. One month after I bought it, the SES light came on as a result of two injectors bypassing to the tank. The dealer would only replace the two defective injectors. I got the truck back, still noisy and drove it another 45 days. This time, it started smoking at idle. I was told the technician found one injector leaking, causing the smoke. After he replaced the injector, while test driving it, another injector went out also. I stopped by the dealership, to check on the progress. While talking to them, I told them that it had always had an idle surge, almost like a lope. They stated that a new injector pump would cure this. They ended up replacing two injectors and the pump on this trip. Then, last week I lost about 15 gallons of diesel fuel in about 60 miles, due to at least one injector leaking into the crankcase. I limped the truck back into the dealership once again. This time they replaced all 8 injectors with the "new style." So, as of today, I have a new injector pump, and 8 new injectors. I have added the cat secondary filtration, pre-oem, and I run FPPF total power and cetane booster in a one to one ratio. How do you guys feel about the "new design" injectors. Will this most likely cure the problem??? I drive about 2,500-3,000 miles a month. About 98% of this is empty. I tow my bass boat occasionally on the weekend. This truck, is far from worked. Will the longevity be there now?? I am struggling with trading it off, for something more reliable, even though I love the truck. I just went past 100,000 miles, so it is "my baby" now. I appreciate all of the help in advance. There is a wealth of knowledge on this board, from which we all have benefitted. If I had not found this board, I would not have known about the secondary filtration, and additives. As of right now, the truck is running great. The mileage is much improved, and it is very quiet.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
From what I understand, the new injectors are the ones that should have been made in the first place. My truck is sitting, getting all new one right now as well. The old ones were tested around the ultra clean diesel fuel the other countries get, which made a problem for us. Your truck should be up to everthing it is supposed to be now. Super Diesel

·
Registered
511 Posts
Did the '04's get the "good" injectors?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
From what I understand redneck45, the 04 lb7's have the newer injectors. I am sure someone with more knowledge will chime in here.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
redneck45 said:
Did the '04's get the "good" injectors?

From your sig it looks like you've got an LLY...

Those have a completely different injector than the LB7 and they are not interchangeable. From what I've read here, the difference in the LB7 injectors between the new and old style has to do with the tip of the injector primarily. Whether or not the LLY injector has a similar tip I don't know for sure, but I believe that the tip is changed from the LB7 type as well as the rest of the injector.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts