Diesel Place banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 01 duramax that is comming off original warranty, trying to decide if I should go with extended warranty or not. What kind of repairs and or expenses have you seen on yours. I only put about 10,000 miles on it a year. THANKS!

·
Registered
130 Posts
I think the 100k mile warranty (engine including injectors) is only good for 6 years (could be 5 years) The allison transmission on the other hand is only covered for the 3 year 36k miles. I took the extended waranty just to cover the transmission (mostly) That is an expensive replacment. Based on your 10k a year the extended warranty would still be good for extending the Allison. I paid around $1200 for 7 yr 75k miles. I bet the transmission outlast the warranty easily based on my current usage. 4 months 10k miles.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I had a 2001 DA k3500 dump truck. It was one of the earliest production DA's. It went to the dealer several times for small things.
<UL>
<LI>rear wheel seals- 2x right 1x Left
<LI>fuel gague- 2x- each part they replaced was around $ 700.00
<LI>idle rough-reflashed the cpu.
<LI>idle rough after 2 weeks-changed several parts before the problem left.
<LI>Allison transmission wouldn't engage- reprogrammed
<LI>Allison would search and then grab HARD while sitting at a stop light on a hill.- new controller
<LI>power door lock-replaced
<LI>fuel leak-dealer couldn't find it-said all diesels smell- 3rd time small leak found-replaced the injecter line on one side.
<LI>battery leak-replaced
<LI>4 way flasher switch-replaced
<LI>starter motor - replaced</LI>[/list]

My 2002 hasn't been in the shop at all. All the little parts are pretty expensive. I would at least buy a GMPP extended warrenty from the dealer I found on this site. Instead I just traded the truck- but mostly for other reasons

Edited by: Duallyvette

·
Registered
747 Posts
I read somewhere about a person in TX who sells GMPP extended warranties at a very good price. I am not sure which site I was on when I was reading it. Does anyone here know any information about this person(i.e. - phone, address, e-mail)?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Just to share an anti extended warranty point of view! An extended warranty covers what is usualy the most reliable part of the lifespan of a product. The time between the original warranty and old age. Most products don't need them. Also, if you consider your life span as a consumer (twentyish to seventyish), you will buy many products such as, TV's, DVD's, Freezers, Vacumn cleaners, Stoves, Boats, Campers, Cars, and Trucks (you get the idea?). If you NEVER buy an extended warranty you will save many thousands of dollars over your lifetime and will be money ahead to pay for the few times something goes wrong. If you do buy one, I hope you don't need it. If you don't buy one (since I said this) I hope you don't need it even more!

·
Banned
2,067 Posts
My extended warranty did cost a bunch. Something like 2600.00 bucks. It is good for 6/100k. It is Bumper to bumper. It does not cover service items or weather stripping. It also does not cover paint. When it comes to mechanical/electrical failures it is very thourogh. It is also transferable to a new owner for 40.00 fee. Good for resale. The only thinf I have to worry about is the company going out of buisness. I havehad that happen to me before. All my crap I bought from Super Shops. They went of of buisness and I was S.O.L. I did file a claim with the courts in charge of the banctruptcy. They put me on some sort of list. I now receive certificates of stock every now and then from the restructure. I think all totaled they are worth like .06 $

·
Registered
170 Posts
GPtimes2 said:
Just to share an anti extended warranty point of view! An extended warranty covers what is usualy the most reliable part of the lifespan of a product. The time between the original warranty and old age. Most products don't need them. Also, if you consider your life span as a consumer (twentyish to seventyish), you will buy many products such as, TV's, DVD's, Freezers, Vacumn cleaners, Stoves, Boats, Campers, Cars, and Trucks (you get the idea?). If you NEVER buy an extended warranty you will save many thousands of dollars over your lifetime and will be money ahead to pay for the few times something goes wrong. If you do buy one, I hope you don't need it. If you don't buy one (since I said this) I hope you don't need it even more!

I agree with you 100% about extended warrantys...except in this case. My 2001 k3500 dump needed lots of small repairs that cost $200.00 to $1500.00 each time it was in the shop. The Allison had me worried...it had acted strangely a few times. I think that the whole truck is tough as nails, but my early (2001) D/A had me concerned. Had I not traded the 2001, I would have bought an extended 3yr 36k from Blake Huddleston at 1-800-259-1200 (Classic Chevrolet) the Texas dealer I spoke with about the GMPP warrenty. I wouldn't give a DIME for a "BillyBob" WarrantyEdited by: Duallyvette

·
Registered
89 Posts
The extended warranty guy that you are looking for is Blake Huddleston (TXDMAX on this site). He is great to deal with and will make you a good deal on a warranty.

Blake's number at Classic Chevrolet is 1-800-259-1200

JoeEdited by: Joe Pool

1 - 8 of 8 Posts