Diesel Place banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
I just bought this truck last week and I need it to last me a while. It has some pretty significant rust on the roof of the cab and I was wondering if anyone has any experience repairing something like this? The truck has 220k miles so I don't want to pay for a full paint job, I was hoping maybe I could patch it up myself if possible.

·
Administrator
15,615 Posts
Thread relocated over to "Exterior" for more appropriate answers to your issue.

:thumb:

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
I just bought this truck last week and I need it to last me a while. It has some pretty significant rust on the roof of the cab and I was wondering if anyone has any experience repairing something like this? The truck has 220k miles so I don't want to pay for a full paint job, I was hoping maybe I could patch it up myself if possible.

Since it’s the roof you could repair that area and paint it with a spray can. Sand the area around it and grind the rust a little bit, use a good rust converter like Corroseal on the rust then prime and paint.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Rust is only part of your problem.

ANY primer topcoats are only as good as whats underneath.

With the paint peeling you may fix the rust but will continue to have peeling and more rust without stripping down to bare metal and using proper materials.

Otherwise, spot fix, rattle can it, and expect to do it every year or two...once rust starts it doesn't stop until you remove it. Rust inhibitors only slow it down.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts