Diesel Place banner
41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
yep, oil terminals have ULSD diesel tanks and #2 oil tanks...# 2 oil tanks are the good stuff ;)

·
Registered
5,863 Posts
MarionMedic;1949831; said:
Also, there's a sensor that "looks" at fuel to regulate the flow that cannot see through the red fuel and causes the injection to be "off".
This is at least partially correct. Read what I wrote on Red fuel vs. USLD mixed with WVO

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
The funny thing is that its more expensive right now its 2.83 for off road and 2.76 for on road? I was confused. Let alone I only checked with one oil company.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Red dyed fuel is for off road use...meaning there is no tax on it! Thats why red dyed fuel is cheaper. On road fuel has tax added.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Diesel_Day_Dreamin';1949860; said:
It depends on the refinery... Some produce ONLY on road diesel and some produce ONLY off road diesel. I work for a pipeline hooked to dozens of refineries, not just one, and can tell you first hand what is or is not the case. I test all products before we pump it. If I pump diesel that doesn't meet the sulfur requirements for a particular grade (15ppm, >500ppm or <500 ppm), I'm the one who answers to the Feds or the company I work for. When you have to downgrade 100,000 barrel batch of oil because it didn't meet spec, who's arse do you think is on the line?

They are NOT EXACTLY the same. Anyone who tells you different doesn't know. Again, if you get ON ROAD DIESEL for off road applications and they just dye it, it is on road diesel without the tax, will be under 500 ppm spec oil, and you paid 20-30 cents too much. True off road diesel will be over 500 ppm sulfur, and cheaper, PERIOD. Must I scan and post the Federal specifications for those to understand?
Ok well I am talking Canada coming from the Shell refinery in Edmonton or the Petro Can or the Esso. I was hauling both on road and off road diesel and asked one of the refinery workers about it and he said there is just a dye injection system there at the rack and it all comes out of the same tank at all the plants so I guess in Canada we do not have the different grades.

That must be why the air is cleaner up here:D

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
TIM Z;1949882; said:
Great Info. So How do you find TRUE off road diesel with the higher sulfur content?
I see TRUE off road diesel before it's dyed. It is not a nice yellow/green to florecent yellow like the road diesel. It is a dark yellowgreen to an almost orange. If you buy home heating oil, chances are it is the high sulfur oil. Short of testing it, I can't tell what you may wind up with. It won't matter after 2010 though... All oil refined will have to be less than 500 ppm sulfur.

August first (just past) another phase of the federal gov. requirements for sulfur spec fuel rolled out and that's part of the reason diesel prices are over gasoline prices. All oils are run through a catylist during refining and this adds to the cost of refining oils.

Below I've attached a slide from a powerpoint outlining the changes to sulfur content and it's deadlines. Hope you can read it. It was distorted when I made it small enough to post here.

Key: L&M = Locomotive and Marine, HHF = Home heating fuel, Credit = Credits given for producing "X" amount of ULSD.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
specialagentPK;1950164; said:
Ok well I am talking Canada coming from the Shell refinery in Edmonton or the Petro Can or the Esso. I was hauling both on road and off road diesel and asked one of the refinery workers about it and he said there is just a dye injection system there at the rack and it all comes out of the same tank at all the plants so I guess in Canada we do not have the different grades.

That must be why the air is cleaner up here:D
You guys having to deal with the "Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel" (USDL) yet?

It's kind of a United States thing only, from my understanding. Although Europe has even tighter standards than we do. I think they are in the neighborhood of 7ppm sulfur. :eek:

·
Registered
459 Posts
Diesel_Day_Dreamin';1952781; said:
I see TRUE off road diesel before it's dyed. It is not a nice yellow/green to florecent yellow like the road diesel. It is a dark yellowgreen to an almost orange. If you buy home heating oil, chances are it is the high sulfur oil. Short of testing it, I can't tell what you may wind up with. It won't matter after 2010 though... All oil refined will have to be less than 500 ppm sulfur.

August first (just past) another phase of the federal gov. requirements for sulfur spec fuel rolled out and that's part of the reason diesel prices are over gasoline prices. All oils are run through a catylist during refining and this adds to the cost of refining oils.

Below I've attached a slide from a powerpoint outlining the changes to sulfur content and it's deadlines. Hope you can read it. It was distorted when I made it small enough to post here.

Key: L&M = Locomotive and Marine, HHF = Home heating fuel, Credit = Credits given for producing "X" amount of ULSD.
I'm curious if people want to avoid the fuel tax and run off road fuel. Why aren't they just getting home heating oil delivered in a tank and then pumping that into they're trucks and adding additive in the winter to stop gelling. Just food for thought. I'm pretty sure they don't dye that.

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
irishtornado;1958809; said:
I'm curious if people want to avoid the fuel tax and run off road fuel. Why aren't they just getting home heating oil delivered in a tank and then pumping that into they're trucks and adding additive in the winter to stop gelling. Just food for thought. I'm pretty sure they don't dye that.
They DO dye it (at least here in Maryland), and I do get extra pumped into an extra 275 gallon tank, and I have run it in my truck. I mainly burn it in my tractors, but on occasion, was lazy about going to the gas station and filled up with the home heating oil.;) SHHH! Don't tell on me!:D

·
Registered
5,863 Posts
Diesel_Day_Dreamin';1959063; said:
They DO dye it (at least here in Maryland), and
in Massachusetts as well

·
Registered
695 Posts
Diesel_Day_Dreamin';1960757; said:
Yes... I see that Virginia sellers even dye the Kerosene.

:wtf:

That can't be good for those with indoor heaters requiring Clear K1?
As long as it's still kerosene, the dye probably won't make any difference. It doesn't affect burning #2 in an oil furnace.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
This thread seems to have gone off on a tangent

I really want it to stay on focus a bit..

The purpose of this thread is not to talk about sulfer or what fuel is dyed where or when it is dyed.

If you have any interesting info on getting the dye out or hiding it I really want to talk about that. I have read a little bit about filtering it through fuller's earth. Does anybody know anything about this? Where can you get it cheap?

I am not trying to be a jerk but I just don't see the need to sift through 6 pages of crap that has nothing to do with the point.. If you guys want to discuss sulfer and yada yada go start a thread,, but please keep this one on the road and not in the ditch

41 - 55 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.