Diesel Place banner
21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
714 Posts
This is nuts. This is like strapping dynamite to your head to blow off your hair so you can save $5 a month in hair cuts. :D

If you want tax-less fuel, do it right. Don't get thrown in jail... make bio-diesel.

·
Registered
726 Posts
monel_funkawitz;1936788; said:
This is nuts. This is like strapping dynamite to your head to blow off your hair so you can save $5 a month in hair cuts. :D

If you want tax-less fuel, do it right. Don't get thrown in jail... make bio-diesel.
That's some funny ****! :lol2: X2

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
monel_funkawitz;1934134; said:
If you wanna add sulfuric acid (Which we use at work to etch and remove metal) then go ahead, be my guest. It won't get anywhere near MY truck.

Simple chemistry, acid is a water based liquid therefore will not mix with diesel fuel also makes me really doubt that it would remove the dye seeings how it is oil based as well.

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Or...just be an informed citizen in your state of operations. The universal $10,000 fine B.S. that some retard started years ago has somehow turned into the gospel...lol!

Fines for using off-road fuels on public roads are administered by the states. In MT, for example, the fine is $1,000 for the first offense, and the state does not communicate with the feds. Also, it's a civil penalty, not a criminal offense, i.e. a misdemeanor or felony.

Until recently, the fine was only $100 for the first offense in MT. Needless to say, my truck had never burned a tank of clear diesel until the new fine went into effect.

Knowledge is power, and some folks are always gonna be Ford Fiestas.

·
LT. Dan
6,816 Posts
i talked to my buddy to is a Sheriff officer and he told me as long as your under your gvw you cant get pulled over. they cant pull you over and just dip your tank. they could catch you for speeding then if your being a dick they could request to dip your tank but its pretty unlikely.

·
Registered
474 Posts
specialagentPK;1937156; said:
Simple chemistry, acid is a water based liquid therefore will not mix with diesel fuel also makes me really doubt that it would remove the dye seeings how it is oil based as well.
Might not be as simple as that, since although sulfuric acid and diesel may not mix well, that does not mean they do not mix at all. There will be a little cross over on both sides (acid in the diesel and diesel in the acid). Also keep in mind a that a lot of chemistry can occur at the interface.

Don't get me wrong, I would never try this myself, but that does not mean it is not possible.

·
Registered
230 Posts
here's the scoop on the dye

My buddy is a farmer and buys diesel in 20,000 gallon amounts, he get's it delivered in 5000 gallon amounts ussually, the fuel dealler delivry guy actually transfers the 5000 gallons and then pours in 5 gallons of dye, same fuel just add dye.:eek::

·
Registered
6 Posts
HAHA the trucking company i work for uses dyed fuel straight up . The big wheels figure the money save will more than take care of any fines when they get caught.
Thats 10 semi's averaging 1000 liters per fill every other or 3rd day .

Smoken

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
smoken;1939182; said:
HAHA the trucking company i work for uses dyed fuel straight up . The big wheels figure the money save will more than take care of any fines when they get caught.
Thats 10 semi's averaging 1000 liters per fill every other or 3rd day .

Smoken
That is sort of what I have been thinking

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
TOTHEMAX!;1934675; said:
ive un dyed diesel by filling a glass jar and setting it out in the sun. took a week or so but it worked. ran it in my heater and it worked just fine.
ive also read on the net about people using acid to bleach out the dye. not sure how but google it and see what you come up with
I have heard about this.. The person that told me said that it was in an opaique plastic container of some sort that let the light in

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Jeremy James Andres;1933623; said:
I have no idea how you would go about this? But I heart that as well as being easily identafied by the obvious colour, the DOT's have some kind of binocular device that will identify dyed diesel, by looking through this device @ the exhaust? I have no idea if this is legit, but I was told this by a very knowledgable man. He might have been pulling my chain though?

I work in the oilfield in Canada, and have to deal with the DOT's during rig moves. The guy that told me was telling me as a warning after a rough neck filled the rig with dyed diesel!

Has anyone else ever heard of this before?
I have been told about a sensor of some sort that they point at your exhaust but I have never seen one or know anyone that has seen one.. I have only "Heard about it"

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I was reading in the British Columbia provincial law documents and it was saying that they can fine a maximum of three times the amount of tax that you should have paid for the fuel. BUT it also said that you can not have a tank on your truck containing dyed fuel. It was kind of vague so I dont know if a tidy tank counts or not. The document also said that its not official but I did find it on the government of bc website.

·
LT. Dan
6,816 Posts
google removing red dye in diesel. i did it a few times and there was some interesting info. dont remember the exact fraze but there is info out there

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
Where I work, we "re-refine" interface (mixture of gas, jet fuel, road diesel, and home heating oil). Needless to say, the red dye is gone when it goes back into the off road diesel tank. I don't think people are going to make a mini-refinery in their back yard though.

True "off road" diesel is not road diesel with dye added. If you purchased 5000 gallons of diesel and the driver adds 5 gallons of dye, You simply bought road diesel without paying road tax, ie., you paid too much.;) True off-road diesel runs 20 to 30 cents cheaper than non-taxed road diesel.

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
If Off road Diesel has more sulfur and lubricity properties thus better for our trucks, Then there has to be a way to use it every day. i mean i wouldnt mine paying the difference in price between On and off road diesel. I wander if we can do this.?

·
Registered
28 Posts
specialagentPK;1949756; said:
I work for a fuel distributor and there is no difference between on road and off road diesel where we sold it from and it came straight from the refinery.
This is EXACTLY what it is.
Same fuel + dye.
No more or less sulphur.
They ship to stations as a single load and add the dye on site for convenience.

The cheaper comes from not having taxes added at 40 cents average.

Another thing not mentioned......
I ran Red Fuel for several years. My Inj pump went out and was replaced under warranty because of recalls.

Dealer, a friend and trusted, said they had to really was it cause of the red stain or the manuf would have rejected claim.
(even though the retailers sold red fuel for months after Katrina here with DOT approval)

Also, there's a sensor that "looks" at fuel to regulate the flow that cannot see through the red fuel and causes the injection to be "off".

You could get a farm tank at home and try to get the delivery guy to not add the dye.

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
specialagentPK;1949756; said:
I work for a fuel distributor and there is no difference between on road and off road diesel where we sold it from and it came straight from the refinery.
It depends on the refinery... Some produce ONLY on road diesel and some produce ONLY off road diesel. I work for a pipeline hooked to dozens of refineries, not just one, and can tell you first hand what is or is not the case. I test all products before we pump it. If I pump diesel that doesn't meet the sulfur requirements for a particular grade (15ppm, >500ppm or <500 ppm), I'm the one who answers to the Feds or the company I work for. When you have to downgrade 100,000 barrel batch of oil because it didn't meet spec, who's arse do you think is on the line?

They are NOT EXACTLY the same. Anyone who tells you different doesn't know. Again, if you get ON ROAD DIESEL for off road applications and they just dye it, it is on road diesel without the tax, will be under 500 ppm spec oil, and you paid 20-30 cents too much. True off road diesel will be over 500 ppm sulfur, and cheaper, PERIOD. Must I scan and post the Federal specifications for those to understand?

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
Diesel_Day_Dreamin';1949860; said:
It depends on the refinery... Some produce ONLY on road diesel and some produce ONLY off road diesel. I work for a pipeline hooked to dozens of refineries, not just one, and can tell you first hand what is or is not the case. I test all products before we pump it. If I pump diesel that doesn't meet the sulfur requirements for a particular grade (15ppm, >500ppm or <500 ppm), I'm the one who answers to the Feds or the company I work for. When you have to downgrade 100,000 barrel batch of oil because it didn't meet spec, who's arse do you think is on the line?

They are NOT EXACTLY the same. Anyone who tells you different doesn't know. Again, if you get ON ROAD DIESEL for off road applications and they just dye it, it is on road diesel without the tax, will be under 500 ppm spec oil, and you paid 20-30 cents too much. True off road diesel will be over 500 ppm sulfur, and cheaper, PERIOD. Must I scan and post the Federal specifications for those to understand?
Great Info. So How do you find TRUE off road diesel with the higher sulfur content?

21 - 40 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.