Diesel Place banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, this is a really stupid question, but how do you remove the stock center caps? Do the lug nut caps come off of the plastic chrome piece, or does it all come off in one piece? If they separate, do they twist off, or simply pop off? Sorry for the dumb question, but it's time to rotate the tires, and I really don't want to break the caps.

Also, as long as I'm asking dumb questions, are the center caps for the steel wheels different than the caps for the alloy wheels? I thought I saw something that said they were different sizes.

Thanks,

Joseph

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Well, this is a really stupid question, but how do you remove the stock center caps? Do the lug nut caps come off of the plastic chrome piece, or does it all come off in one piece? If they separate, do they twist off, or simply pop off? Sorry for the dumb question, but it's time to rotate the tires, and I really don't want to break the caps.

Also, as long as I'm asking dumb questions, are the center caps for the steel wheels different than the caps for the alloy wheels? I thought I saw something that said they were different sizes.

Thanks,

Joseph
The plastic lug nut caps stay on with the center cap, all one piece. When up put the cap back on, hand tighten the plastic lug nuts and a 1/2 turn with the socket should be fine.

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
The black plastic lugs screw down onto the steel lug nuts. They come loose, but are captive in the chrome plastic cover, so don't try and pull them off/out of the cover when they come loose from the lug nut underneath.

·
Registered
41 Posts
To answer your 2nd question, I believe that the caps for the steel wheels are slightly different size (overall diameter) than the caps for the aluminum wheels.

·
Banned
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, gentlemen. The manual made it sound like you did a half-twist on the lug nut caps, and then popped the cap off with a pry bar. I'm glad I asked, before using more muscle than brains. :eek::

Joseph

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
That's one of the reasons that I prefer to take off my caps and then put them back on myself whenever having any tire work done by others. It's real easy to cross-thread or overtighten the black plastic lugs when reinstalling and I don't trust the average tire-jockey to take the time and effort to get them put on correctly and carefully. OBTW, if one gets lost or buggered - the dealer price is $78 each. You can get them cheaper on ebay and as takeoffs, but that requires time and effort.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
That's one of the reasons that I prefer to take off my caps and then put them back on myself whenever having any tire work done by others. It's real easy to cross-thread or overtighten the black plastic lugs when reinstalling and I don't trust the average tire-jockey to take the time and effort to get them put on correctly and carefully. OBTW, if one gets lost or buggered - the dealer price is $78 each. You can get them cheaper on ebay and as takeoffs, but that requires time and effort.
Ditto

·
Bac To The Future
23,029 Posts
I found that the lugnut caps have a small nub on them that fits into a small depression in the cap face. Thats what holds them in place.

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
Yep, there's a locking rib and groove in the plastic, but they still have to be properly threaded, tightened up uniformly and tight enough to lock and stay in place without stripping the internal threads out of the plastic. I still don't want the tire jockey going after them with a tire iron, ratchet or AIR WRENCH!!:eek:

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
Be careful, as others have stated, they are easy to crossthread adn strip.

·
Registered
8,655 Posts
Just unscrew the plastic nuts...the cover comes off in your hand.. :)
alright PG can you ever post something without nuts and hands without a smiley at the end???):h

1 - 12 of 12 Posts