Diesel Place banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
6,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
make the truck more prone to axle wrap?

It seems they are not tied into the main leaf pack (2500HD). If a guy had no reason to carry any heavy loads, would this be the least expensive way to improve the ride?Edited by: masterp2

·
Registered
103 Posts
The overloads don't really hurt the ride since they are not touching the stops except under a heavy load. In my opinion the best thing you can do is get some Velvet-Ride Shackles. I ordered a set for my '04 3500 CC 4x4 after the incredible difference they made on my F350 PSD CC 4x4. The rear wheel hop, and jittery ride all but vanished. Truely a great product for $160. Can you tell I like em?

Good luck!

·
Banned
6,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ZZ4x4 said:
The overloads don't really hurt the ride since they are not touching the stops except under a heavy load.

Wrong. The 1-ton and 3/4 ton are different configurations. I am sure your shackles helped you, you were being beat to death in the Ford, they reportedly do little for a 2500 ride improvement, because the ride is already "not bad". Don't mean to berate your suggestion, it doesn't address my question about axle rap, which calls for speculation and opinion from those already familiar with a 2500.

Additionally, the overloads DO affect empty ride in the 2500HD, they couple up with the main pack with only 1/2" of travel, creating bucking, frequently reported by those with a few mile on em. I think your springs have overloads on top, with an extra load bearing leaf or 2 in the pack, a different animal.

My quest for axle rap information, any opinions?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Thank you for setting me straight on the overload difference in the 2500 vs 3500. I have been driving a 2500HD for the past month although did not look at it prior to posting. However, it drives basically the same as my 3500 with a very stiff rear. Same as the F350 before I put on the velvets. Time will tell whether the velvets help the same on the GM as the Ford. Some guys have a sensitive rear and I could tell a big difference although others might be oblivious. Regarding axle wrap , I doubt you'd notice a difference by removing the overload as the packs are still very beefy...but it all depends on your power output and traction...but someone else can answer since there is a trust issue here

·
Registered
31 Posts
Instead of removing the lower leaf on my '03 I just flipped it over. That retained the height in the rear and improved the ride alot. But as you suspected it increased wheel hop slightly but it is worth the ride improvement.

·
Banned
6,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Duratex

Isn't the overload spring more or less a straight spring? Less spring force when flipped over? No slapping?

When do you experience the wheel hop?

I was thinking of just cutting it short to retain ride height, a 1" block substitute.

·
Registered
31 Posts
There is a slight curve to it. I had less than 1/2" clearance unloaded and when I flipped it I have about 1 1/2"-2" clearance. I was about to remove it also until I laid it on the floor and saw the slight curve. I would have to load it pretty heavy to contact the overload now. It may never touch. I noticed wheel hop the other day in the rain. I run 315/70/17 with a HJ. I just have not tried it on dry payment yet to see what happens but I suspect it will be similar.

·
Registered
31 Posts
yep

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a new 04 LLY crew cab. I don't like the stiff rear ride. Whats the easiest and cheapest way to soften the ride?

·
Banned
6,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am working on an airbag solution for empty ride comfort, preferably one that comforts the ride better than standard airbags. Possibly using a sleeve/piston type bag rather than the convoluted.

By stiff ride, what would you improve, highway performance, off-road, coffee drinking qualities? What do you want to accomplish? Be specific.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Coffee drinking qualities. I'm not an off road type. I did upgrade to the 265 tires and have a pull trailer that wieghs 6700lbs. The empty ride is stiff and jars on large bumps or tracks. Some wheel hop if accelerating over bumps.

·
Banned
6,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
From what I have read, you may find what you are looking for, at least in part, with bilstein relacement shocks.

As a progressive approach, I would do this anyway, since the oem shocks are apparently crap and don't last long, nor provide the needed damping especially for larger rubber.

I assume also, your psi empty is under 45?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks for the info. I put Uniroyal Loredo 10 ply tires on and they call for 80 lbs cold. I will have to check what pressure they have. I didn't want 10 ply tires but the dealer said he refused to replace the originals with anyhting less do to factory specs.

What about removing one spring like you guys were talking about along with the new shocks?

·
Banned
6,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Assuming you have the 2500HD, I have researched a bit on your leaf thought.

Reducing the leaf pack configuration is tantamount to increasing the trucks vulnerability to axle wrap, an unnecessary tradeoff.

What has worked is:

1. Dearching the overloads

2. flipping the overloads

3. Airbags

seems the main leaf pack gives a good ride, till it contacts the overloads. Increasing the distance to overload contact is what helps keep you off that second stage. It nearly doubles the spring rate the instant you contact it=bucking. The airbags work for 2 reasons. The spring rate of the airbags is much less than leafsprings, and they keep you away from the overloads. But to work well, they should be mounted so as to lift the truck 1-2" when inflated to 20 psi. The idea being to get the empty load more on the bags than the springs, at a very LOW pressure, the lower the better. The spring rate increases dramatically with increased pressure, from less than 100lbs/in at 10 psi, to over 400 lbs/inch at 100 psi. I have looked at the engineering data on the airlift bags in making these conclusions, which I have not tried myself, but will down the road.

That's 80psi (max). Reducing that to 50 or less should help a lot.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks again.

It sounds like flipping the overloads is a quick cheap way to help some. I sure don't want to raise the rear of the truck.

I'm not familiar with Dearching?

·
Banned
6,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Dearching=You can have a spring shop remove some curvature from the overload spring.

This won't change empty ride height. You could have the whole pack dearched and use the airbags as I have suggested to retain stock height.

Post your results.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts