Diesel Place banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
The more I look at the video the more I notice the center of the balancer spinning near perfectly and the outside is what's wobbling. You can see it bounce relative to the timing tab next to it. I'm thinking it might be ok, but thoughts are appreciated.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
That is just your crank bouncing around. Watch both pulleys in relation to the timing mark at about 6 second in, you will see them both moving together. I'm sure the HB also adds a little more movement, that is it's job.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Looks fine to me. Place your curser on the edge of the balancer in the film (once the cameraman stops moving the camera) and the balancer and pulley are spinning perfectly.

·
Flared bumper nostrils
754 Posts
The more I look at the video the more I notice the center of the balancer spinning near perfectly and the outside is what's wobbling. You can see it bounce relative to the timing tab next to it. I'm thinking it might be ok, but thoughts are appreciated.

https://youtu.be/r9s6Xz0-48w
Looks fine. Also looks like your crank seal is/was leaking.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Thanks guys, helps put my nerves at ease!

Looks fine. Also looks like your crank seal is/was leaking.
Was. Replaced it when I did the balancer/pulley. The oil pan gasket also leaks so that's most of it.

·
Flared bumper nostrils
754 Posts
Thanks guys, helps put my nerves at ease!

Was. Replaced it when I did the balancer/pulley. The oil pan gasket also leaks so that's most of it.
I did mine at the same time i did the HB & CP. And this whole time i thought it was burning that oil

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
More HB info. A leaking crank seal or any other oil on the HB is bad news for the HB. Oil makes the rubber hard in it. The oil hardend rubber totally fks up the way the HB works to protect your crank. Even tho the rubber is not swelled or cracked. If the HB is oil soaked. Replace it along with the leaking seals.

Reactions: jnlperformance

·
Registered
63 Posts
More HB info. A leaking crank seal or any other oil on the HB is bad news for the HB. Oil makes the rubber hard in it. The oil hardend rubber totally fks up the way the HB works to protect your crank. Even tho the rubber is not swelled or cracked. If the HB is oil soaked. Replace it along with the leaking seals.
Seems to me this could be another reason to use a fluidampr.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I have read through this post and certainly won't disagree with anything posted. I started my career in 1979 at a Cadillac dealership in Va. Beach. I couldn't even begin to say how many HB's I have had to pull off for different reasons, but I have always used an impact gun taking them off and putting them on. As far as I know there have never been any adverse side effects. I understand that most people have had bad experiences with dealerships, so have I. That is why I went into business for myself in 1999. I don't charge people for things that don't fix their problem, where as my dealership experience people got over charged and charged for operations that didn't fix the problem. Anyway after reading all this I don't dare put an impact gun on a crankshaft bolt, flywheel or harmonic end. Nice and simple holder that Gladulator made. Just one more homemade tool in my toolbox! :)

Reactions: Firstoneman

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Word of warning... Do Not Use an IMPACT Wrench on a crankshaft! Very bad... Very bad for the crankshaft. Like in breaking it. Also never hammer a HB on a crankshaft.
Might as well hold the crank out in front of you and drop it on the floor.
Using an impact wrench creates a perpendicular rotational force to the crank shaft in which is what turns the bolt. The same force is created while the engine is running.

You however wouldn't want to over tighten the bolt using the same method. Stripped threads on a crank nose would be no fun. I've dealt with those.

Using a hammer creates a parallel force to the crank shaft... which you are correct... is horrible! The crank, mains and engine were not designed to handle that particular load.

Physics is physics... 1+1 will always equal 2 unless we're talking about general and special relativity in which 1+1 could equal 3... at least in what I'm currently thinking about lol.

I'm staying away from the crank break in. I'm highly inclined to just be quiet. LOL

·
Registered
698 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Oil soak hb... one of the many many reasons I run a fluidampr...

And the wear life on one lasts longer than the motor itself... so you don't need to replace it.

Among one of the other highly important reasons I switched to the fluidampr is gm's cast crank.

I have 3;

6.2 (cast crank)
6.5 (forged pen. crank) but a stock crank is cast.
6.6 LML (cast crank)

21 - 32 of 32 Posts