Diesel Place banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody ever remove or bypass the factory fuel cooler? Its so small and restrictive and i can't see it cooling the fuel very much to benefit anything. An aftermarket cooler of some sort would work better I'd imagine. Just curious if anybody has removed or bypassed it with any issues.

·
Registered
171 Posts
You might gain something by upgrading but definitely won't if you delete/bypass it. It cools the fuel returning to the tank so it's not restricting flow to cp3/injectors

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok so its on the return then? I'm just going through my entire fuel system just checking out what all could be upgraded or taken out to gain some flow. When i installed the nicktane filter adapter I noticed how restrictive the stock fuel filter head is. Is there a way to do away with that and just go straight to the CP3? Just wondering how these higher HP trucks are getting enough fuel flow without having any issues.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Most everyone that has a FASS, AirDog, Kennedy, etc lift pump that has fuel filter and water seperator deletes the factory filter head.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well that's good to know. I always wanted to remove that but wasn't sure if it was a good idea or not. As far as additional filtering just run another filter inline after the lift pump? I got an AirDog right now but i like the extra filtering of the big cat filter with the nicktane adapter but don't want to run the stock fuel filter head.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I left the stock filter head and used the bleed screw port to pick up my fuel pressure. That gauge saved my ass when a push to connect fitting from flex line to hard line failed and I was pumping raw fuel out to the underside of my truck.

·
Registered
6,012 Posts
you can make more power than teh stock rods will handle before that fuel filter up front becomes your bottleneck. if you have a fully built motor then i would eliminate it. if not i wouldn't worry about. removing the check ball in that filter head is all you need to do.

Ok so its on the return then? I'm just going through my entire fuel system just checking out what all could be upgraded or taken out to gain some flow. When i installed the nicktane filter adapter I noticed how restrictive the stock fuel filter head is. Is there a way to do away with that and just go straight to the CP3? Just wondering how these higher HP trucks are getting enough fuel flow without having any issues.

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
I had duramax filter in my parts hord for a little while. Got it as part of a bucket deal trade.
It would be nice to have on a 6.2L and maybe a 6.5L turbo but wouldn't keep it on a duramax if I had the choice.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.