Diesel Place banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This evening, I finally removed the AC cooler that sits in front of the radiator. (The broken compressor already went out a few months ago.)

The amount of debris collected between the AC cooler the radiator was really amazing! I used a vacuum cleaner to suck what looked like a whole wood out there :)

Now the amount of air coming from the fan at idle has maybe tripled, and I can even feel the air flowing in from the front! With the fan clutch fully engaged, it will probably suck our neighbours dog right through the grille, though they have a pretty large beast :cool2:

There's no chance that you could remove the debris (mostly leaves) from between the AC cooler and the radiator without taking the AC cooler out. Everyone having problems with overheating might try to take it out, clean things up and put it back in.

You might have trouble to loosen the fittings on the AC lines; I had to cut the upper one off because the nut didn't come loose. If your going without the AC anyway, it's worthwile in any case.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
This evening, I finally removed the AC cooler that sits in front of the radiator. (The broken compressor already went out a few months ago.)

The amount of debris collected between the AC cooler the radiator was really amazing! I used a vacuum cleaner to suck what looked like a whole wood out there :)

Now the amount of air coming from the fan at idle has maybe tripled, and I can even feel the air flowing in from the front! With the fan clutch fully engaged, it will probably suck our neighbours dog right through the grille, though they have a pretty large beast :cool2:

There's no chance that you could remove the debris (mostly leaves) from between the AC cooler and the radiator without taking the AC cooler out. Everyone having problems with overheating might try to take it out, clean things up and put it back in.

You might have trouble to loosen the fittings on the AC lines; I had to cut the upper one off because the nut didn't come loose. If your going without the AC anyway, it's worthwile in any case.

Yep you can clean it without removing the AC condenser! Just remove the upper fan shroud and rad clamps and tilt the rad towards the fan, it will give more than enough room to clean in there, and if not you can remove the rad entirely, as it is easier to replace coolant than refridgerant
My 2 cents

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info, I didn't ever expect it being so easy to remove the radiator! It's the way to go if you keep your AC.

Maybe I'll do it at some time to flush it from the inside and then thoroughly clean the fins :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts