Diesel Place banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hub and inner rear wheel are one with a 2006 5500. First time I've pulled the rears since I bought the truck. I think the back of the wheel and the front of the hub are rusted together. If it were my 1975 I'd just get out the torch and heat the living crap out of stuff and keep beating but I put PB blaster on it and came in to consult the oracles. Outer wheel came off reasonably easy.

Got a friend coming in the morning so one of us could pull on the 5 foot bar while the other one beats the steel wheel near the center hoping to shake loose. might be able to dig up a porta power to put a little outward pressure. Never seen such a thing as a wheel puller.

Geez, if the wheels had holes drilled in em with threads like the old brake drums used to you could put bolts in and drive em off, but kind of hard to do that with the wheel on the truck and although it's pretty close to the center might want to take care to keep the holes even for balance.

well, anyway, any ideas appreciated. I couldn't figure out how to make the advanced search engine search find all the words in a search, i.e. remove rear wheels, so my search kept bringing up everything to do with rear end, removing anything, etc. although I bet if I could figure out what I'm doing wrong somebody might have asked this before so I apologize for repitition.

brian

·
Premium Member
18,344 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I saw this http://www.myerstiresupply.com/shop...KIENE-Wheel-Grabber-Hub-Piloted-Wheel-Remover

from this thread http://www.schoolbusfleet.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4420

We always just heat and beat. My Ford garage always has a stack of burn out center hub pilot wheels out back from the F450-550 trucks.
Clever approach but a little pricey. If I did fleet maintenance might take the ready made. I modified a large puller to get the brake drums off my previous 5500 and it worked great. But it is 3 jaw and I'd need a 2 or a 4 for these wheels and the end of the axle isn't set up to take a puller pin.

The cup or flower pot over the hub is kind of where I usually use a big socket or something that fits, but the hub is bigger than all my sockets by a good piece. Guess I might make a plywood ring with a couple screws in it to keep it centered over hub and then one of the big footed braces on a porta power and drill a port power sized hole in a piece of steel channel long enough to stand on the ground and then bolt chains to that might be worth the effort.

thanks for the link.

brian

·
Registered
845 Posts
I usually just remove the outer rim/ tire and put the lugs back on with some slop so the inner rim can move around a bit and took it for a little ride in the shop yard taking a few hard turns always did the trick for me to loosen it. Ive also had to beat the hell out of the inner tire with a 5 pound sledge. Spray the living hell out the hub with the PB Blast.
Bill

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
or there's archibald tuttles wheel puller

I was really into that fleet wheel puller but not at fleet prices,
so decided to make my own.

Biggest problem is the hubs on these trucks are just over 6.5" and it was really hard to find a piece of scrap pipe that would fit over, 7" pipe would have been OK, a little loose but not too big but 7" pipe is hard to come by a little piece and 20' would have probably cost me more than just buying the ready made puller for $1200 bucks. Solve that by having a local fabricator run a piece of 3/16" stock about 5.5" wide through a roller and turn it into a cylinder with a 6.75" inner diameter and welded the joint.

The rest is history. and I'm starting a new thread about what to do about a few brake parts.

Total price for this puller $50 bucks (plus I already had the porta power that I used to run it. If you had to buy that you'd be up to a couple hundred).

Attachments

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Very nice solution ! Thanks for sharing this with the rest of us.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.