Diesel Place banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi MAXPOWER (or anyone else with experience with the Astroflex line of remote starters),

A while back you had posted on TDP about the Astroflex line of remote starters/alarms. I have tracked down a local retailer and am thinking of buying one, but I had a couple of questions for you.

It sounded like you have a lot of experience with this line. If so, I was wondering:

1. How good are the installation instructions that come with the system? I am pretty technical, have built numerous PCs, and like doing things myself. Are these things that tough to install? I have never done a remote starter install.

2. I noticed on Astroflex's website that they have some sort of installation software...looked like it was for registered dealers. Are you a dealer? If you are, is it be possible to get detailed installation info from you? My local dealer is fine with selling the unit w/o installation.

3. Have you worked with either the 3106 or the 4104? Any thoughts about which is a better unit?

4. Any other insight into this would be great.

Thanks,

John

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
1. Installation is not real easy. You will be able to do it but you will run into some problems. I can help you along the way as I know these trucks like the back of my hand.

2. Yes I have the software and I could fax the information from it to you.

3. I had the 3106 in my truck and upgraded it to the 4104 when it came out. I like the 3106 transmitter better but I like the page back option of the 4104. If you don't need page back then go with the 3106. You will like the range (2600ft++) Also if you don't need the alarm go with the 2106. The alarm will probably add about an hour installation from you.

4. Some things to consider. You will have to solder all your connections. Count on at least a day for the install for your first time. Get some good quality electrical tape (3M Super 33+ is the best hands down) Also some heat shrink. You must have a Digital Multi Meter. If you don't know 100% what you are doing you can't go probing around with a test light!

Get a IM-HDT-1. This will make your door lock interface 1000 times easier and if you have leather will also turn on your heated seats. Accept no substitute. Some dealers use cheaper no name door lock interfaces and none work as nice as the astro start IM-HDT-1.

You will need to bypass your passlock security system. They will probably try to sell you an astro start unit which will work but I use a unit that works much better and is much easier to install. It is called a PL-DATA and can be seen here. Your astro start dealer should be able to get it even though it is not an astro start part. http://www.bypasskit.com/pldata.asp

Feel free to ask me any questions.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info...I may just go with the 2106 and save some $$$. Now, gotta figure out a way to get the expenditure past the boss...hehehe, where there is a will, there is a way!

When I get it I am sure I will have a question or twelve, so I will be back to this thread in the future, I'm sure.

John

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
The 2106 is an excellent model and is easier to install. You can always upgrade to the 3106 or 4104 in the future.

Feel free to ask any questions you have.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have had several astroflex astrostarts on different vehicles over the years with very few problems.Had a 2000 gmc with one.the truck had a dead battery after a couple of days sitting. Took It to the dealer for warranty. After 3.6 hours and 360 bucks told me it was the astrostarter.Went back to the place that installed it they confirmed that the security module was draining the battery and cut me a check right there for the cash I paid the dealer.I would like to install my own but they offer lifetime warranty if they install it.Moral of the story make sure your aftermarket accessories arent causing the problem before you take it to the dealer.

·
Registered
58 Posts
John,

How about sharing the name of the local dealer you found....for those locals amongst us!!! With winter peeking around the corner at us, this is beginning to sound like a good idea!

Thanks!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Prairie Goat,

Well, the one I found is not local...is up in Denver. I left my notes at work with the name and phone number. Will try to remember to post info tomorrow.

John

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Try these folks:

Sunfree Window Tinting

6827 S. Dayton

Greenwood Village, CO 80112

303-662-8800

·
Registered
17 Posts
Will any of these dealers sell it to an individual without installing it? I contacted Astroflex directly because there are no dealers in the Houston area that sell them and they informed me that any licensed dealer would not sell a unit without installation. Anyone have any info on this? Thanks.

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
Lots of dealers will. I wouldn't tackle this if you don't have a lot of experience with electrical though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts