Diesel Place banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any Ideas on a good remote start...either viper...or ultrastart.... you see the viper more then the ultrastart???????Racer

·
Registered
217 Posts
Do a search here...astrostart by astroflex seems to get very high marks. Don't have one yet, but will be getting one soon.

John

·
Registered
611 Posts
I got compustar, it has the longest range (1.5 mile). I like it.

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
<LABEL id=HbSession SessionId="2996123042">Anything by DEI is good so viper is fine. I personally don't care for their stuff but that just personal preference. I have heard good and bad thing about Ultra start. You should be fine with either. REally the biggest thing is to get a good installer. They are far and few between. The worst part of it is for you to find out. You have to find out the hard way.</LABEL>

<LABEL SessionId="2996123042">Compustar has the best range, also very high priced. In the past their product has been terrible but they improved a bit over the last couple years. They are in alaska so the cold weather testing is good.
</LABEL>

<LABEL SessionId="2996123042">Astro start is probably the best quality on the market. I don't sell anything but.</LABEL>

·
Registered
946 Posts
Hey guys how about some links to these things.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I had a viper starter and alarm in my last truck, 94 chev, put in in the fall of 94, and it was truly poor, needed a new remote every week for 3 months, very limited range, i'm sure they've upgraded since then but I would't get another one. My .02

·
Registered
817 Posts
My wife has the AviStar and I have the Crimestopper Informer 2015. The Crimestopper is 2 way and has pretty good range. It will also allow control of 2 vehicles. I did the install myself and it has worked without a hickup. My wifes was flaky until I reworked it. The installer taped the wires on and they would lose connection. I solder all of mine. You should ask the installer how they do it (without mentioning what you want, like a test). If they take the time to solder and insure a good long term connection, then they are probably okay. The installer will make or break just about anybody's system. If they don't power all of the right lines, then your AC might not work like the wife's (till I went back and powered the correct circuit).

The only knock on the Crimestopper is the remote screen will loose a line on the dot matrix or sometimes go blank making the 2 way not useful. I think they have made some improvements as the one I got replaced has done much better (looks different too). They also have a 999 version that is cheaper with less alarm stuff. I hooked mine up to have all of the Crimestopper stuff in addition to the factory system. I soldered in an OEM remote that activates the locks to activate the OEM security system and the remote start will also set the high idle with the trunk button.

Go to WWW.the12volt.com, which is a stereo and alarm installers site and they have tons of info on this stuff and can help answer questions if needed.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I used Prestige APS996,Once I got he right interface module installed it works the memory seat and everything I wanted works now.You can buy it from Summit Racing.But would still need the 2 additional modules.

·
Banned
2,530 Posts
Here are the Compustar retail prices, which have come down over the last couple years.

2WSS-AS (1.25 mile range) $650 came down from $750 not long ago

2WFM-AS (.25 mile rane) $550

There is a new FM remote setup due out in a few months with better range.
They can't be doing too bad since they picked up and moved to seattle from alaska around a year ago.
I've dealt with compustar for the last three years and have seen very little problems with them. If fact, I'd say that 99% of the problems with them are caused by the installer. I could say that of any hight quality alarm/remote starter. The biggest factor in the durability and longevity of any such system is the install. All connections should be soldered and covered with heat shrink or 3M super 33 tape. Due to the fact that this takes time and time is money, most installers opt to use t taps instead. T taps will work great at first, six months down the road maybe a different story. I've seen so many installs done with t taps come apart it's not funny, however, I've never seen a soldered system come apart. It pays to dig deeper and maybe pay more up front and save headaches later...

Ox

·
Registered
79 Posts
Anyone have any good or bad comments about Black Widow products ?
I have to make up my mind very soon, My baby`s on its way !!

·
Registered
184 Posts
I have a viper and it works great. Range is very good and has even worked inside of a power plant. The viper works great with the glow plugs and even has a 4 minute turbo cool-down.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I put an AstroStart 2106XR (one way) on my truck right after I purchased it. Thought long and had about getting the 4204 (two way) but did not want to spend the extra $100. After using the 2106, and it is a great unit, I had a number of times that I wanted to know if my truck had started. The 4204 would have told me that.

I talked to my dealer and they offered to change out my 2106 for the 4204 for the same $100 the unit would have cost me over the 2106 when I bought. Great dealer!!!

The 4204 (two way) is great! Range is listed at 1/2 mile- have not run a test but don't doubt it. I have mine set up so I can turn on the heated driver seat and adjust the temperature AND turn on the heated passenger seat and adjust it also.

Lots of remote staters are sold here in Alaska - my salesman at the dealer told me friday that he personally has sold more 1000 AstroStarts this winter. They have an excellent reputation - much better than Viper, Python, etc. But the dealer netwoek and the manufacture stand behind the product.

Check around and see what fits your needs and pocketbook. I strongly sugest getting a two way unit. Take a serious look at the AstroStart 4202. JMO.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Racerman610

I my previous post I left off perhaps the best bit of advice. Base your decision on which remote start to by by the quality of installation and reputation of the installing dealer.

You can buy the most capable, longest range remote starter in the world, but if you get a s**t install you will regret it. Our trucks are complex and there a lot of integration challanges with them. I would make sure the installer solders all of the connections, has factory trained installers and will stand behind his work. How long have they been selling and installing remotes? I would not go with the lowest priced dealer, one that just started selling and installing remotes or the neighbors kid who is a "Stereo Expert" and can do it "on the cheap".

Start having an "Integration Problem" where you have a problem and the Truck Dealer says it's the remote starter causing the problem and then the Remote Start dealer says it is a truck system problem and you will find yourself in the middle of a big whizzing contest without a truck to drive.

Just more things to think about. I would put more importance on the install than the specific remote. JMHO

·
Registered
304 Posts
I have a crimestopper, Love it. But the installer is as imprtant as the product. Make sure you have all the correct modules to interface with the factory electronics (alarm & onstar).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts