Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was recently reading a post regarding the High idle switch install. Someone mentioned having a remote starter installed w/an aux function that will set the high idle after starting. I assume (dangerous I know) that this will just start the truck without waiting for the glow plugs. How much of an issue is this for cold starts? Will is just run poorly until it warms up or will this have a cumulative negative effect on the engine? Also, does a remote starter void warranty? I would much rather start my truck from my kitchen on those cold mornings
. Thanks for any insight.

Mike

·
Registered
369 Posts
You need to buy a remote start that is DIESEL compatible, it will have a glow plug circuit and wait for them to say its ok to start. As for warrany GM cannot void a warranty because of a remote start, HOWEVER say your starter or ignition key does not work right they CAN tell you to have the remote start removed before they will fix the truck since there is a good possiblity that the remote start could cause those problems, all depends on the dealer. I can say that many dealers probably would look past the remote start in the event of a starting system failure and try to fix it, HOWEVER if they found that the remote start was indeed the problem (say maybe a bad wire or relay, ETC) they would definetley not honor the work under warranty and you would be charged for the repair, chances are that would be cheaper than removing the remote start anyway.

·
Registered
81 Posts
What Brand remote start is the best for our trucks and how much are they? and where to buy? Thanks, Remoteless in Indiana!

·
Registered
217 Posts
I have been doing a bit of research on this recently, and the Astrostart line from Astroflex seems to get high marks, especially for transmitter range. Others include DEI products, such as Viper and a few others that I can't remember at the moment. I know that one of the members here, maxpower, has a lot of good things to say about the Astroflex line, and has a lot personal experience with them. I have not hands on experience with any of them, yet. Here is the link to the other thread on this topic. The main thing, it seems, is to be sure the model you choose has the glow plug delay option for diesels.

http://dieselplace.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=881&PN=1

John

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
Most good remote starts have an input for the glow plugs. They wait for the glow plugs to cycle (or glow plug light) then they start.

Astrostart is top notch but might be hard to find in your area. DEI is the favorite of most brain washed installers. It's not a bad product, just not as good as Astro start in my opinion. Feel free to ask me any more questions you have.

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
I believe autopage is made by audiovox. I don't have any experience with them at all. Go to www.the12volt.com and ask opinions there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts