Diesel Place banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really like using my block heater, but on those cold mornings, I really don't feel like going into the garage to plug it in. In my case, I don't drive the DA every day (take the bus to work), so running the block heater on a timer does not work for me. I now use an X10 remote outlet module, and switch the power on from inside the house. For those not familiar with X10, its a system for automating control of the electrical appliances in your home. Its modular, and allows you to start with just a very basic system, and grow as much as you want. Each outlet module has a unique address that it responds to. When the control unit (located in your home) sends a signal with the same address, it turns the outlet on or off. In my case, I keep a controller on the nightstand. When I get up, I can switch on the block heater, and the truck is warm by the time I'm ready to go. A basic system can be had for around $25. I purchase my X10 gear (I use a lot of it at Christmas for all the lights) from Automated Outlet. A link to the various X10 modules is listed below. I use the 3 prong appliace module for the block heater.

http://www.automatedoutlet.com/html/plugs___modules.html

·
Registered
398 Posts
Wow, they have some pretty nice stuff, Thanks.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts