Diesel Place banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
5 days later, around 300 miles and so far so good no stall issues. Made it a little too tall initially and tore hood insulation, but no big deal. Here's a few photos.

I need to remove the power steering cap to get a band style wrench on but no big deal. Once it's loose, I just replace the cap so I don't risk getting any fuel in it and remove the rest of the way by hand. Tight but doable. Although the flatter Permacool or Racor head would make this task a little easier as well.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Victory Red,
I really like the location! Is the mounting bracket a piece of angle iron with another flat rectangle bolted fast to it? Could you give me a list of the parts you used. I have been wanting to put the Cat somewhere. The other locations-front of wheel well is cramped and cold for winter and under neath the truck in front of the tank don't work on my regular cab. I live about 5 miles from a Cat dealer so knowing what parts to ask for would be helpful
Thanks
Hoagie

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
Your not supposed to put clamps on the quick connect fittings. It cuts the weaving inside the hose and makes it weak. OilGuard said it would even VOID my warranty.

They work on the chinese finger trap theory and now the trap part is not working because the inside cross-weave has been cut.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hoagie,

Yes I just grabbed some scrap we had lying around. Both pieces are aluminum around 1/4" thick. I didn't take any real measurements, just kind of fit it into place. I've been way too busy with my tailgate strap project to do anything else.

The location actually belongs initially to Lone Eagle. My airbox location gave me some trouble from time to time so I got sick of it. I prefer to stay Post OEM and didn't want the hassle/expense of a lift pump. Anyhow it's too soon to say I'm out of the prime loss woods, but I'm on 5 days and counting.

Problemchild,

I know the clamps are probably overkill, but I've never been one much to trust pushlok fittings. Than again, we use them extensively in my industry with little failure(pneumatic mainly, but a much higher pressure than the LP fuel pump). I wonder if you thoughts are correct if I developed a small leak in my old setup and am gearing up for another one????

·
Registered
169 Posts
Victory Red, I got my rig at Brookfield Chevy. I also like your location. it answers alot of questions that were going through my head. is it mounted on the ac compressor? saw where some one had mounted a racor there. I like cat products though. If you get a chance, maybe some measurements ? or maybe I could run over from Poynette sometime to look at it up close and personnal. Thank you for another great idea! AkDually61

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
AkDually,

If you mean Brookside Chevrolet(next to a Toyo Dealer) that's where I've got my last couple of vehicles. It's also around 5 mins from my house. Anyhow if you'd like not only would I give you a hand putting the system in, I can probably scrape up enough material to make a second bracket virtually identical to mine.

I don't think I've been to Poynette in last decade, but If I remember correctly it's not much more than a 1 hr drive from me.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Victory Red, do you have a measured drawing (even in rough form)? I'd like to duplicate your mount for a post OEM filter mount on my '01.

Thanks, Mike

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
MFendley as of yet I don't, I just sort of eyeballed quickly one saturday since most of my free time has been put toward the effort of my tailgate straps. When I get a chance I'll either make up a quick pdf(acrobat) or take some measurements and give them out.

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Looks good ....

One thing keep an eye on them fuel lines running behind the engine cover .... Make sure they don't over time come in contact with the heat shield on the turbo ..... My 01 AC line runs in the same location and did ....

Mac

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mackin,

Yeah I looked at that possibility. For now everything is zip tied securely, and since I'm pretty anal about checking out my truck and I tend to play under the hood as much as my finances allow it'll be a regular checkup for me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts