Diesel Place banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am condsidering purchasing a GMC Crew with Duramax. I am really hesitant on the motor's longevity and reliability. Recent threads I have read & heard doesn't help my any.

I currently have a 98.5 quad cab, 24v, Cummins, with upgrades on engine & tranny. I have 168K miles on it and have had no problems whatsoever.

I need more cab room and Dodge just doesn't have the comfort features & space that the GM Crews have. Therefore I am considering the GMC 2500HD. All around it fits my needs better than others.

Though the Duramax is my only hangup.

It seems to me the Duramax has numerous problems with USA fuel, COLD weather starts & injectors.

HOW reliable is this engine and what is the design rebuild mileage?

I am not getting rid of my dodge and plan to keep my next diesel for at least as long or longer.

·
Registered
389 Posts
steve

i have 30,000 on my 3500 4x4 have had only one problem at about 1000 miles the cold start selonoid went bad, alot of times on forums you get people here because they have problems, so you get alot of negative feedback, when actually if you count the number of trucks sold verus the problems reported in the real world , i think the numbers are pretty low.

i absolutly love mine "with out a doubt"

john

02 chevy drw cc lb 4x4 ltEdited by: tulsa1718

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
I think a gasser would last longer. The engine on the diesel will go a million miles. Its the injector system thats built to last 100k (1/10th the engine life).

If you double or triple filter the fuel (pre-oem/post-oem) with a 2 micron filter the injector system would last much longer.

It seems to be more expensive to up keep the diesel. It is definitely more expensive to buy. But it gets better mpg if towing.

You just have to want a diesel I guess.

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
Don't forget a higher resale value on a diesel too. That usually ofsets the original price being higher.

·
Registered
389 Posts
problem child

i agree with you in some ways, i have owned diesels for almost 20 years. i beleive an injector system that lasts 100,000 miles is great, i have owned trucks where they only lasted 75000 and pumps that lasted less than that. to 100,000 perfect

john

02 chevy drw cc lb 4x4 lt

p.s. i would never own a gas again my last one got 8 miles g.p.h. and was always needed something. i.e.-spark plugs, oil,wires,fluids,my big block used almost as much oil as it did gas. jmoEdited by: tulsa1718

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
This is my first diesel. The problems worry me too. I installed a Nicktane filter and use additive in the fuel and I think the injection system will last longer than 100,000mi no problem at all. If you are getting a new truck you will get the new LLY engine that has new heads and different injectors along with several other changes. I had a 98 CC,SRW,LB,4x4 with a 454 prior to this truck. The diesel would walk on it stock and gets far better mileage, the diesel can do as well with my fifth wheel as my 98 did empty. I don't think the maint. is any harder in fact I think it is less maint. The Allison trans is absolutely great, the damn thing knows what I want before I do. I had never towed prior to this truck and with a standard Juice box on level 2 this truck pulls more grades in O/D with my trailer than my 98 did empty.

I think you will be well served. I like the Cummins motor but not the truck or the trans. (new trans,we will have to wait and see). This Chevy is absolutely the best truck I have ever driven. Tulsa is right. People often come to these forums because they have a problem and wish to know more about it. Search the site and you will find a few poles that were done for injector problems and such. The new Dodges are also using a Bosch high presssure common rail system now too.

Also look around, how many Isuzu diesel delivery trucks do you see on the road? They know how to build a motor.

And it is ProblemChild's sunny disposition and positive attitude that makes us keep him around.Edited by: BigdaddyG

·
Registered
233 Posts
Steve

You could get a bad engine, or engine component, with any new engine, gas or diesel regardless of the brand name. Isuzu has made millions of diesel engines and they have a good track record. That is one of the reasons why GM chose Isuzu to build the Duramax. Navistar just got their contact cancelled with Frod because the new 6.0 PowerJoke failed so many times during its initial rollout. Cummins has had their share of problems also. I put my money on Isuzu because I've owned 2 of their trucks before and I was please with the quality.

Get the Duramax
. Whether you choose GMC or the Bow Tie Boys, it will be a good investment.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What changes have they made to the heads and injectors on the LLY engine. I was unware of any changes other than HP/ TQ.

Again - my concern is the problems at high miles is this a common problem or has it been. I will put on about 36k miles a year which isn't small nor a huge amount but it will put it into 100K by 3yrs.

I tow a 30' 5er & 20' boat in tandem and gross 20K @ 75' long during summer months. I want this truck to last without pumping repair $ at it. I've been fortunate with my Cummins. No $ spent on repairs @ 168K miles, original fan belt, fuel pump, tranny w/ mods, Banks Stinger Plus, Amsoil. Such the reason I will not get rid of it. I will drive it for work and hunting. The New rig will be used for Camping and traveling with yard apes(3).

·
Registered
939 Posts
Steve,

There is a thread on the other changes to the LLY, variable vain turbo, EGR, CAT and some other stuff...if I can find it, I will post a link to it.

I have owned my 03 LB7 for 15 months, nearly 18,000 miles and it has not seen the dealer once for repairs. The only time it saw the dealer was for a free oil change I got, and for picking up oil filters when I change the oil. I have towed our 5er and a friends boat to the lake a few times last summer, around 21,000lbs GCVWR and probably 73-75 feet long and I was able to do any speed I wanted, but settled in at 65mph for safety. Its about 100 miles one way to the lake, and I have no doubts I will be doing it again this year because the truck is more than capable of being worked hard, not to mention I have full confidence in this truck. Sure there are some that have had injector problems, but there are a whole bunch that don't!! Would I buy another one?? You bet, except I probably wouldn't get black...

·
Registered
112 Posts
My Dmax cold starts better than any Cummins that I have ever had experience with. This winter at -35 ish it started when many gassers wouldn't start. It fired up just as quickly as ever, but sounded pretty rough for a minute.

The Dmax has both glow plugs and intake heater. Mine cold starts better than any on road diesel that I have used, and proved superior in "side by side" cold starts with other pickup brands consistantly. --SS

1 - 12 of 12 Posts