Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys with good upkeep and proper maintenance what would the reliability of the LMM be? its not that much different from an LBZ, so you guys can help chime in. i've never ventured into the diesel side of the automotive world and have no idea what would be good upkeep is with them. i'm torn between getting a new LMM or a new tundra. toyota has proven reliability with every vehicle in their lineup, or the gmc LMM with the new strick emmisions crap. help me out. i'm going to test the new tundra out tomorrow.

·
Registered
96 Posts
For what its worth Quick Storm, I converted from gas PU's back in 2002. I've had no issues with reliability, less some GM "quirks" we all deal with, no matter the brand name. Personally, I don't use the truck for what it was intended, but love the power and feel of the D/A. Having said that, and reading an article on the new tundra, I will say I'd be interested in hearing your opinion after the test ride.

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
They've got a pretty potent V8 in the new tundra's i read. If you're pulling though diesels are the superior beast.
they're also better on gas - My 8k truck before being broken in ( 15k + I've read) still gets 17mpg (my best on free way so far) and I'm 4 wd.
I dunno about the toyota reliability - I think that it's suffered the past 4 years or so. Just my opinion...
I myself wouldnt trade my truck for anything, I just love the thing!

·
Registered
7,148 Posts
The new ones will probably be OK but as with any new model and all the EPA required hang on stuff there will be some engineering changes made to correct oversights. Personally, I'd avoid the rush to be the first on the block to own one and the deals will get better when the dealers get too many on their lots.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I personally would stay away from the new emission trucks for about 2 years. there WILL be problems. I don't care who it is GM, Ford, Kenworth, VW. they are all going to have issues, & boy are they going to be expensive to repair & up keep. that is why I bought a 06 LBZ, that is why my next big truck will be pre emmisions.

·
Registered
923 Posts
I don't like the toyota's but I have to agree with avoiding the new emission heavy trucks untill they work out the bugs. I would how ever strongly suggest a 06 LBZ.

·
Registered
123 Posts
My question is, what are you doing with it? There is a big difference from a 1/2 ton gasser to a 2500HD with a diesel. What do you really need or wany? They are both great trucks. What kind of milage do the Toyota's getting, they are usually pretty good. I get around 15 to 16 around town in my LBZ. And yes there is also the 1st year of a change that will probably bring some issues with it. I guess its all about what you want. On the other hand I wouldnt trade my DMAX for anything.

·
Registered
902 Posts
From what I've read the new LMM is Much like the LBZ but with all the emitions crap on it. I'd wait a few months before buying

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the truck won't be used for anything other than being freaking awesome right now. but down the road i do want to get a few toys to tow with.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Well if you are going to be towing with your Toyota up a see-saw, or drive really fast and stop before going over the cliff, then that's the truck for you:cool: . Seriously though, I'd go diesel if you are ever going to tow, why pay $40k+ for truck that can't get the job done, if you are really going to be towing in a few years. I'm waiting until the '08's are out this fall/winter for my GMC 2500HD. Chris

·
Registered
20 Posts
Alot of people are saying to wait on the new engine until the bugs are worked out. I need a new truck and I want the new body style so I can't wait. I don't think the few modifications made to the new engine are that big a deal. It's not like its being built from scratch.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
My wanting to wait isn't for the engine, not much different from the LBZ, my worry is in the DPF and the regeneration cycles. I want to wait to see a way to bypass this stupid filter and then buy. If I needed a truck right now, I'd buy. Chris

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Damn Yankee;1574271; said:
Having said that, and reading an article on the new tundra, I will say I'd be interested in hearing your opinion after the test ride.
test drove the new tundra today. i was definately impressed, i still have to drive the new LMM but i did check out the GMC 900 gasser crew cab as well today and the interior didn't really jump out at me, i think the interior of the tundra is better quality. the did have a reg cab short box 5.7 V8 6spd Auto 2wd there that looks quite intriguing.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
jbob;1576195; said:
Alot of people are saying to wait on the new engine until the bugs are worked out. I need a new truck and I want the new body style so I can't wait. I don't think the few modifications made to the new engine are that big a deal. It's not like its being built from scratch.

You have a great point jbob. The new LMM motors are not being built from scratch just as you stated. The LMM is basically based directly from the LBZ.

·
Registered
552 Posts
that up the ramp and off the cliff thing was funny

·
Registered
552 Posts
if cost isnt an issue do the d-max,and with the new extended warranty
you cant go wrong.by the time you get out of warranty they will have
recall builletens out plus,the problems that i can forsee will have to do with the emissions.they must fix all emission related problems free of charge.jmo. just do it:D

·
Registered
304 Posts
I was in the same boat. I like the new style but the LMM scares me. (as does the new price tag).

I bought a new loaded '06 w/8.1. I like the engine better then any diesel and I saved about $17k.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Don't forget 07' LBZs. I love my 06', but must admit I chased additional rebate money that was available for the 06' and wonder whether it will be a good investment over the long haul given the lesser warranty. I definitely wanted pre-new emmissions regs and pre-ULSD required so it was LBZ for me and I didn't give any thought to the new body/interior on the LMM.

·
Registered
766 Posts
I was in the same boat. I like the new style but the LMM scares me. (as does the new price tag).
Why? It is basically a proven LBZ with a dpf and programming for it attached to a new body/interior. I like the new GMC:cool: . Like dieseljoe stated since it is a emissions part they HAVE to warranty and fix it.
I bought a new loaded '06 w/8.1. I like the engine better then any diesel and I saved about $17k.
Till ya hook a load to it and get 8 mpg.:eek: . Went from towing with a 00 PSD:) (company truck) to my 01 Z71 "no tow" :mad: to a 05 2500 6.0 ( buddy's truck):eek:: to a 06 2500 LBZ:cool: . No more gaz for me! Plus the chicks dig it:D . To each his own.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts