Diesel Place banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 gmc 2500HD duramax with 375,000 km, all i ever used was regular 15w40, but im thinking on switching over to synthetic, is it a good idea to do this, this late? or will i hurt the engine doing it this late? any suggestions?

·
Registered
176 Posts
I am a synthetic fan, but why mess with your proven formula..."if it ain't broke, don't fix it!" just my 2 cents, maybe someone else here has a good reason for the switch. Luke

·
Registered
176 Posts
Is something about the truck's performance or "feel" different or changed, making you want to try something?

·
Registered
574 Posts
I have a 2001 gmc 2500HD duramax with 375,000 km, all i ever used was regular 15w40, but im thinking on switching over to synthetic, is it a good idea to do this, this late? or will i hurt the engine doing it this late? any suggestions?
I likewise wouldn't change a thing if it's gone that far without many problems. Really curious to know how much oil it's burning. How many miles do you get before needing to add a quart??

·
Registered
695 Posts
I guess it is up to you... Maybe do an oil analysis and see how the oil you are using is performing near the end of its change interval. I guess you can extend the change interval with pure synthetic, But I am a believer in the "don't fix what isn't broke" theory. I really don't see the need for synthetic and the additional cost unless you are trying to extend your service interval.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I likewise wouldn't change a thing if it's gone that far without many problems. Really curious to know how much oil it's burning. How many miles do you get before needing to add a quart??
My truck doesnt burn any oil, and i change it every 5000 km, but after reading the replys i dont think im going to change, just thought it might prolong the engines life, but the truck is working fine now, so thanks for the replys!

·
Registered
1,683 Posts

Hey,

I run synthetic in the cold months ( October untill April. ) and Dino the rest of the year on 5000km intervals. I love the advantages synthetic offers for cold starting, but don't think I would run it the rest of the year.

·
Registered
16,971 Posts
Like WB said, I think it will depend on where you are in the world. Cold temps, synthetic is better and will make the truck run better, IMO.. I say if you have had no issues running dino all the time then why change now? Reasoning?

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
i'm on 77800 miles fully syn...all year round....royal purple and delvac 1.

·
Registered
665 Posts
For sub zero I'd consider synthetic but other wise unless you just want to spend some money or have bragging rights I recommed dino. I'm usin a blend right now but as soon as my stock is gone I'm switching to a good dino.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts