Diesel Place banner

Is DPF regeneration random, or does truck know when wife is aboard???

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 1500 miles on my truck, my wife has been in the truck only 3 times...

And EVERY time she drives with me, the damn thing goes into regen and smells to high heaven. Frankly, I think these trucks are like the movie "Christine", and that when wifey is in the truck, truck gets jealous...

SO, here's an informal, unscientific poll to see if other guys have the same personality disorder with their trucks...

1) Truck regens randomly, when I am alone or with any passenger, male or female

2) Truck only regens when wife is in truck

Please state your answer, 1 or 2

I am anxious to find out if my truck is possessed...:eek::eek:

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
It's always random. If you think it the wife, you could always make a trial run with wife #2.:D

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's always random. If you think it the wife, you could always make a trial run with wife #2.:D
Not a bad idea... except... This is wife #2:banghead:

·
Registered
135 Posts
Are you sure it has not been after taking your wife to Taco Bell?

·
Registered
345 Posts
After 5,500 miles I've only "smelled" the regen once - I could tell other times from idle and mpg that regen was going on but only one time with odor...and it was while I was driving in town. Wife never rides with me.

·
Registered
544 Posts
hehehehehehe....this post is funny...Happy Holidays!

·
Registered
434 Posts
This thread is cracking me up! It usually has an odor after lunch... regen or not... wife or not. JUST KIDDING! But seriously. :rolleyes: I will vote truck regens randomly...I personally regen after eating something greasy, but blame it on the truck when the wife's with me. :D

·
Registered
2021 GMC Denali cc dually
697 Posts
mine doesn't stink anymore :rockit:

·
Registered
310 Posts
I'm just turning 2800 miles and have never observed a regen. Not that I haven't had one, I just haven't smelled anything, experienced an elevated idle or seen a drastic drop on the DIC mileage screen - not that I look at it frequently.

·
Registered
10,516 Posts
Truck stinks when wife is in the truck?

Try running some vagicleen through it.....

LOL

·
Registered
219 Posts
Can somebody tell me what it smells like? I think it did it today but, not sure. Eric

·
Registered
434 Posts
Can somebody tell me what it smells like? I think it did it today but, not sure. Eric
Well... if its not taken care of.... it smells like fish. Sorry, just couldn't resist. :D

The only way I could describe the regen smell is maybe a hint of plastic burning. Its pretty destinctive so if you think it happend, chances are it did.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well... if its not taken care of.... it smells like fish. Sorry, just couldn't resist. :D

The only way I could describe the regen smell is maybe a hint of plastic burning. Its pretty destinctive so if you think it happend, chances are it did.
x2 -- maybe smells like a hint of diesel exhaust, but mostly faint burning plastic. When it regens, if you are doing stop & go, you'll know

·
Registered
50 Posts
LOL - Funny thread!

·
Banned
2,421 Posts
It's not a mystery if you have an MSD DashHawk or Edge Insight.........

And mine don't stink.........

;)

·
Registered
152 Posts
I can smell it once in awhile but not everytime...i'm looking forward to getting either the dashhawk or insight so that i'll know when its getting ready to regen...then eventually getting rid of the dpf altogether...

·
Registered
17 Posts
No smell, smoke, or other sign of regen. And this is with wife No. 4.

·
Registered
101 Posts
No smell, smoke, or other sign of regen. And this is with wife No. 4.
WIFE # 4???? Are you paying attention there bamabadboy? I told my wife (30 years last month) that this is great but I would never do it again. She said, "that's pretty stupid because you're my second hubby". I told her I got it right the first time! That cost me some. Seriously though, 4 TIMES?

Funny thread.

K

·
Registered
219 Posts
x2 -- maybe smells like a hint of diesel exhaust, but mostly faint burning plastic. When it regens, if you are doing stop & go, you'll know
That's what I smelled the other day when I fueled up. It was wet and slushy out and It smelled like a brake was hung up with a hot rubber smell and hot gear lube smell rolled into one. Anyone follow that? Eric

1 - 20 of 23 Posts