Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question for you. How close to empty to you go before refueling?

I've read on here that some fill when tank is a 1/4 tank; others when the low fuel light comes on; others watch the DIC for gallons used.

Is there a "usable capacity" for a 26 gallon tank? - My Yukon XL can go almost to empty, 29.5 gallons on a 30 gallong tank Is there a danger of picking up anything from the tank if it gets too low?

Refueling 18-20 gallons everytime is getting old. Can I go to 24 gallons?

I understand the difficulties if I run out of fuel, so I don't want to chance that.

Thanks for you comments.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
If I would run the highways I would start looking for fuel at a quarter of a tank .As far a picking up anything the draw tube is set , it draws at a set distance at all times from close to the bottom . I feel the same as others they should have a higher capacity tank from the factory .

·
Registered
47 Posts
I got a 80 gallon reserve tank and youde think i would never run out of gas !!
we'll DID < BLONDE > truck read 1/2 tank ( hasnt done it sence )<reads right now ??????? also check computer readings offten ( miles left )
but i had NO troubles restarting truck , like ive been told by several peeps
normally try not to get below 1/2 tank myself ... ( any more )

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have ran my truck low. lowest ive went was 25.2 gallons on the 26 gallon tank. I was nervous about it but I figured I have onstar so if anything bad happens i will just give them a buzz:rolleyes:. I'm looking into a transfer tank so I can go longer distances between fill ups.

·
Registered
924 Posts
I get nervious @ 1/2 tank.Im lookin fer fuel then.When im in my home i fill up daily every mornin like clock work.

·
Registered
16,080 Posts
I have been a believer that if you live in a high density area it would be ok to start looking at 1/3 of a tank. If I am on the highway traveling, I start looking at 1/2 tank. By building in this much cushion you can look for stations that have high traffic and you reduce the chance of bad fuel. Just my $.02 worth.

·
Registered
488 Posts
My new 06 26 gal tank is so much different and my 02 26 gal tank, with my 06 I will get down to like 1/8 of a tank and it will only take like 18-20 gallons, I don't know what's up with that.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
I usually go until the low fuel light is on and then a little more. When I fill up I normally put about 22-23 gallons in it. I get nervous going much more than that.

·
Registered
390 Posts
From experience, mine sucks air at just below 1/4 tank. The gauge is correct as it only takes about 20 gallons to fill it. Twice on heavy throttle it quit running. First time I had it towed to the dealer. They accused me of adding a 5 gallon can of fuel after I ran out. All they did was bleed the lines. The second time I blead them forever and got it running. Went straight to the station and filled it with 19.3 gallons. Not real happy about this. Use to run it well past the light.

·
Registered
884 Posts
I run to a 1/4 tank then switch to my other tank. Fill up at the next good spot. I like the comfort of always having enough fuel to go several hundred kilometers without filling up.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Have noticed that my truck gets between 35-45 miles on it before the needle gets off of "F" mark after fillup. Topped off my tank once with it showing 3/4 tank and only able to put 7 gal.'s in. At a 1/4 tank reading it takes 15-17 gal,'s to fill. Estimate that each 1/4 tank is around 4.5 gallons. I have ran it once to the point where the light came on and it was just touching the E mark. Took 21.5 gallons to fill.
Don't like playing the guessing game. A 26 gallon tank on the SB is not enough. Just ordered a 45 gal. tank/tool box combo auxillary system from American Tanks. This system operates as a seperate tank with a switch in the cab. Dealer tech and rep at American Tank both stated DO NOT use transfer aux. tanks that refill the OEM tank automatically because it will cause a DTC and will make the gauge drop to "E" (computer senses lack of fuel use). The system I am getting is more expensive than just a transfer tank, runs around $1800 w/tax & installation. Tank with installation kit is around $1315 + tax if someone prefers to install themselves (they supply instructions). I prefer having the vender I'm purchasing from install so warranty work can be done there. Tank system has lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I will typically look to refuel at 1/4 tank. I have run as low as fuel light to activate but prefer filling prior to that. When hauling my toy hauler and getting only about 9.5 mpg, I have seriously thought about an aux tank so that I can at least get a few miles under the tires before having to stop and refuel.

·
Registered
824 Posts
i like to keep my tank above 1/2 a tank cause after that it gets spendy :D thats what my dad does with his truck cause fuels gettin perty expensive now a days to let her get below 1/2 or even 1/4.....just my expert incite lol:driver:

·
Registered
321 Posts
MGlickLBZ;1578272; said:
I have been a believer that if you live in a high density area it would be ok to start looking at 1/3 of a tank. If I am on the highway traveling, I start looking at 1/2 tank. By building in this much cushion you can look for stations that have high traffic and you reduce the chance of bad fuel. Just my $.02 worth.

:exactly:

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
most of the stations around here lock my credit card at 50 bucks before i have to re insert my card and start fueling again.
I hate that and everytime it happens it winds up needing only like a gallon of fuel after i get to 50, i re insert my card and splash fuel EVERYWHERE.
So now at 1/2 tank i routinely fill up. It just makes thing easier

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
I don't trust the fuel gauge enough to run the fuel level down below 1/4 tank. Usually when it hits 1/2 tank I am looking for some diesel.

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
In the Summer, I have run until the light comes on, just to see how much fuel it would take. Never taken more than 22 gallons. I would rather have the light come on early instead of late. But I also generally fuel when it's down to a 1/4 tank or so.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Second part of the question. Do you "top it off" or stop the first time you hit automatic cutoff? Any problem associated with topping off to get every ounce possible in the tank?

·
Registered
824 Posts
well diesel fuel does foam up so you should put a little more in there

1 - 20 of 49 Posts