Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to be able to refuel my truck with the large nozzle used at truck stops for the big rigs. Unfortunately, I get diesel splashing all over the place when I attempt to fill up with a large nozzle. Can the tank inlet be changed for one with a larger orifice, or can modifications be made to acept a large nozzle? I pulled out the fuel tank inlet assembly and found that the large rubber hose leading to the tank (behind the bed body panel) had another, smaller hose in it which went into the tank. Can I remove this smaller, inner hose and just use the outer rubber hose? The nozzle inlet is set up so that any fuel that spills out of the inner hose runs into the outer hose (the rubber one), also allowing it to function as a breather during refueling. If anybody has any suggestions, or if any compatible parts exist out there to swap them in, please let me know...thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
I have not used one yet...this is really some bad news. Sometimes you have no choice at some of the truck stops. My first F truck had that problem but the '00 fixed the problem and my old '01 had no problems at the over the road fuel stops.

I would also like some more info. maybe it is a easy fix.

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
I dont know about the probability of doing such a thing, but it sure sounds feasable. I know that Transfer flow has a filler neck but its only for there tank..

·
Registered
540 Posts
Not true, Eric. I have the Transfer Flow high flow neck for the stock tank. Is it wonderful??? No. Is it better than stock, yea.

The problem with the stock filler is the center tube flows the fuel and it vents around the outside of it in the rest of the space you think is really filler. The filler amounts to only about a 1" tube.

The Transfer Flow is better but still uses a little of the main tube for the vent. The idle situation would have been to have an extrernal vent for the tank and get to use the whole filler tube diameter for filling.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I saw a small vent tube attached to the large rubber fill hose. This tube seems to come from the tank. Is it possible to use the large rubber fill hose (which is actually a vent), as the main fill hose? e.g. Removing the inner fill hose.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
I also installed the Transfer Flow Fast-Flow Fillneck to my OEM 34 gallon tank. Stock flow tube and small nozzle was 13.5 GPM, and with the Fast-Fill and large nozzle, I fill at 18.5 GPM. Best thing is now I can fill anywhere, and don't have to wait in line for the pump with the small nozzle. I can fill with the big nozzle wide open. I guestimate how much fuel needed, and reduce flow when tank is about 90% full, so it doesn't spit fuel out when 100% full. See link below.

http://www.transferflow.com/html/gm_fillneck_kits.html

SerasLibre:

Others have tried removing the small plastic fill tube from the large rubber hose, and don't recall anyone with luck doing this. The tank will loose its vent when filling, and fuel will spit out at you. Search here and other forums for info.

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
FirstDiesel said:
Not true, Eric. I have the Transfer Flow high flow neck for the stock tank. Is it wonderful??? No. Is it better than stock, yea.
Larry, I stand corrected, Thanks for settin me straight. I remember reading somewhere that Transfer flow would not sell you the fill tube unless you bought the tank... I think I was mislead on that too if you have it.

·
Registered
540 Posts
SerasLibre said:
I saw a small vent tube attached to the large rubber fill hose. This tube seems to come from the tank. Is it possible to use the large rubber fill hose (which is actually a vent), as the main fill hose? e.g. Removing the inner fill hose.

That is not the tank vent. It is actually the rear end vent tube. Trace it and you'll see where it goes. The stock vent tube is internal in the filler and only vents the tank during fueling.

·
Registered
540 Posts
dmaxalliTech said:
FirstDiesel said:
Larry, I stand corrected, Thanks for settin me straight. I remember reading somewhere that Transfer flow would not sell you the fill tube unless you bought the tank... I think I was mislead on that too if you have it.

I think they will not sell the aftermarket fast fill neck without one of their tanks. The fillers are different.

·
Registered
514 Posts
TransferFlow has two different Fast Fill Neck Kits. One is designed to work with the OEM fuel tank and can be had for $ 126.89 Part No. 020-01-11726. The other is designed to work with TransferFlow's 45 and 56 gallon replacement tanks. It can be had for $ 87.83 Part No. 020-01-11889. Note that the second one ONLY works with their replacement tanks and will not work with the OEM tank.

This can all be found at: http://www.transferflow.com/html/gm_fillneck_kits.html

·
Registered
841 Posts
OK, so how difficult is the install? I'm tired of rinsing the diesel off my paint too, so if it is a simple install I'm sold!!!
SPICER

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
Several people over on TDP have removed the vent tube and restrictor from their OEM filler neck. It can be done by detaching the filler from the fender, unclamping the rubber hose, pulling the filler and the vent tube (called "the python" by one fellow) out of the tank. the vent hose pulls off and the restrictor is press-fit into the filler neck. The restrictor can be carefully driven out with a large socket used as a punch. Those that made this change reported that it allows easy insertion of the large nozzles, but did not prevent burp-back or speed up filling to any extent. The large nozzles have pretty heavy flow and pressure, so the only real advantage to removing the restrictor would be getting the nozzle fully inserted and removing that "restrictor blowback" that you get when trying to balance the big nozzle against the restrictor.

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
Oh, BTW, one absolute restriction by Transferflow is that they WILL NOT sell their through-the-cap filler neck unless you have one of their tanks. I tried to buy one when I installed my American Tank in the bed and was pretty rudely denied. So I bought an OEM chassis-cab filler and some parts and cobbled-up my own. The GM Chassis cab filler assemby is an unrestricted version of our filler neck and probably is a direct replacement. I believe I paid $36 for it over-counter at a Chevy dealer!

·
Registered
841 Posts
Idle-Chatter, Check out the link in the above post. It appears that there is one available now for the OE tank...SPICER

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
How about this....

Does GM make a filler for the 4500 series truck that is different than the 2500/3500? What I am getting at is that GM may already have one out there to use. And it might be able to mount on our smaller truck.

This should not even be a issue...driving a diesel truck means sometimes you'll need to us the "Big Truck" pumps, and shoudl be able too without any problems or modifcations.

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
NoWake, that's pretty much what I was saying in my last post. There are photos of the chassis cab filler assembly in my link below and I would wager that it is a direct-replacement for our restricted and "hosed" filler neck assembly. I'll have to take a closer look at my through-the-cap rig and the truck, but I suspect it's a clearly swapable issue.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Thanks, I will look at the pics.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
I am looking at the Chassis Cab Filler right? and you said you got that at the a GM dealer for $36 over the counter. Do you have a GM part number for that.

That is also one hell of a set up!

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
Yep, the Chassis Cab Filler is just the black metal "filler neck." I'll try and find the part number for you when I get home tonight. The part did not include the cap, which was another $4.50, as I recall.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Yep, I have the bigger TransFer Flow filler neck and it works great! Pull up to the big rig pumps and drop that nozzle in there, set it on high and let her rip. About 3-4 minutes later it's full! Take you another hour to top it off however....LOL ha ha ha

Just depends on what you call full! I like to see it sitting there about 1/2 inch below the cap and not going down anymore. Easier and more accurate to check mileage that way if you fill up to the same level everytime. I usually get 1-2 more gallons in by topping off.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts