Diesel Place banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok just picked up a new trailer (genesis 32cr) 3 days before thanksgiving and first trip out I had to tow up a decent grade and my truck seems to pull it like nothing 60mph up most if not all the grade and i was super impressed because it barely felt any heavier than my last really light Trailer well on the way back my truck chimes and showed a check engine light and said reduced power and my fuel filter went from 50% to 0% I could still do 70mph on tr flats but could tell my truck was not right because it would struggle to do even 50mph up some slight hills when I could do 60 no problem up bigger hills well I got home late that night and the next morning I changed my filter and cleared the filter reset and my chec engine light was gone so I drove the truck to work not really thinking anything of it because without towing I couldn’t really tell but it’s still just as weak as it was that night I went up a very short but fairly steep grade yesturday and my truck had to go down to third gear and was floored at like 40mph

It basically feels like I’m in that same reduced power mode but no chec engine lights or warnings I won’t be able to check for stores codes since I’m out of town but it’s bothering me... could of i damaged my cp3 from fuel? I have the cat filter adapter on my truck

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
There’s several discussions with problems your experiencing over the last 7-10 years, do a search and you will find.
If you’d have something like the Edge Insight (the most pouplar) to monitor, that would help you pin down the possible reason as to why.
You really need the trouble code/codes to finger out what the problem could be.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
This is where having something like the Edge Insight gauge/monitor code scanner/clearer would come in handy, not having to depend on others to retrieve trouble codes for you.

Besides 2 posts in 7 1/2 years I doubt he will be back to respond for a few more years.

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
The O.P. could be that rare gem that first searches the forum (and/or other forums) for the solution to his problem before posting...

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
This is where having something like the Edge Insight gauge/monitor code scanner/clearer would come in handy, not having to depend on others to retrieve trouble codes for you.

Besides 2 posts in 7 1/2 years I doubt he will be back to respond for a few more years.

that's funny

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wrong bro!!!! I’m back again got ahold of a insight and it’s only making 16-17lbs it boost towing 15,000lbs with my programmer on level one it goes to 27psi and feels normal

No cel light fuel filter has like 500 miles on it balance rates are in check but my mileage has dropped from 11.2 to 9.2 towing the exact same load

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh and yes I’ve used the search function just like everybody else who is flooded with pointless post and threads that don’t solve the problem.....

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Reduced Engine Power 99% of the time it's fueling. Bad Fuel/plugged fuel filter, fuel filter life at 0%

You need to know when you go into Reduced Engine Power what your desired/actuall rail pressure is.

It either fuel restriction someplace or your CP3 can't keep up.

The most common failure of the high pressure pump is the inability to keep up with high fuel demand such as towing a trailer up a hill. This problem will usually set a low rail pressure code.

If the vehicle only acts up during a hard pull with a load and there are no restriction issues then it is more likely a HP pump causing the problem. A bad limit valve could also cause this problem.

As far as your DSP5 switch
If your getting 27lbs boost on level 1 and 16-17lbs on level 2 tow tune.
Anybody can build a high HP tune but a Tow Tune is a lot harder.
Contact your tuner and see what person says about your boost.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Desired and actual fuel is fine anywhere any rpm and any boost level

Boost is 16-17psi floored on the “stock tune” (level 1)
And 27psi on the “heavy tow” tune (level 2)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well how did my tuning suddenly change the same time I got a bad filter warning light and reduced power warning light? Seems too much of a coincidence? it was fine on the way to where I was camping. that tuning has been on there for like 4 years

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
When you switch between tunes and your Boost is 16-17psi on the “stock tune” (level 1)
And 27psi on the “heavy tow” tune (level 2)

Sounds like you can achieve normal boost. Have your tuner fix this. Tell that person I want more boost in level 1

Also you need A new high pressure pump. It has the inability to keep up with high fuel demand such as towing a trailer up a hill.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
16-17 is pretty low for stock boost, mine stock was 26 max, now 31-32 with my heavy tow tuning, which in short 27 with your towtune is also pretty low.
BTW turbo5efhe who is your tuner ?

·
Registered
372 Posts
A few more details would be helpful like how many miles are on your truck, what code was set when it initially happened? I wouldn't go throwing a HP pump at it until you have everything else ruled out. Even if it's a P0087 that is something that can be fixed lots of times with a good lift pump setup and kennedydiesels tuning.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts