Diesel Place banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was wondering if anyone has redirected air from outside toward a non stock intake system on the 6.5. any help would be great.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I am going to experiment this weekend with some PVC piping, Ram air style. I don't have a fan shroud or fan. (electric fans) so plenty of room to run down to bumper area. Thinking about using 4" then expand to 6" and place the open air cleaner down in it. Thinking about getting one of the filters that are being well liked here: http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66177

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I am going to experiment this weekend with some PVC piping, Ram air style. I don't have a fan shroud or fan. (electric fans) so plenty of room to run down to bumper area. Thinking about using 4" then expand to 6" and place the open air cleaner down in it. Thinking about getting one of the filters that are being well liked here: http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66177
How's those electric fans working for ya, and how long have you had them? What brand are they?

·
Registered
684 Posts
not sure of brand right off hand. I know they are massive, I special ordered biggest ones possible from a preformance shop locally. paid 240$ dual 12" draw 50amps. Had them in since beginning of last summer. Had major cooling issues as my lower shroud was missing from lift. When I first got them thought it was a bad mistake as ended up burnin up my alternator as I was already peakin the stock 105a out with 1000w stereo, two sets of 100w fog lights, 100w headlights. Then had problem with the thermastat that came with it had a melt down, ended up getting a 80amp relay from a stereo shop, and a new thermastat and upgraded all the wiring to 8ga. Haven't had a problem since and struck rarely goes above normal operating temps. Haven't hit more than the 200 mark while pulling in summer since I had the stock setup. Ended up replacing alternator with a 200amp HO and upgraded batteries to two new 1000amp crankin.

I wasn't aware of the 50amp draw when I bought them, I was just like give me the biggest badest ones you can. Most don't draw that kinda ampage. It was after the fact when themastat was sticking and alternator went out before I did little research...

·
Registered
275 Posts
Redirecting cool air through a non oem filter

I have made a mod that takes air from behind the drivers head light and puts it into the original air box so the stock air and mod air both get to the turbo. The new air has a K&N filter so it is not harmful to the turbo or engine. I haven't had time to run my latest mods on a dyno yet so I don't have numbers for you to think about. However at an idle I can feel the air going into the collector when I put my hand in front of it so I know that it is getting more air than stock. I want to have cool, clean air and with all the rain I get around my place it can get wet and muddy in the fender wells. There's a picture of the installed mod in #5 on this thread:

http://dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42207

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
alrighty, i like some of the ideas, but i dont have a stock airbox anymore. this is my setup

(not my acutal truck)
its that same intake and faces the same way. nothing comes to mind other than having to by a new hood w/ a functional scoop and channel to lead air to the intake.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I put the same filter in and added a sheet metal box that covers the filter and the hole in the fender wall. Is that what you are asking about or are you trying to get more air into the fender?

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well im looking to get more air to my intake from outside. preferably not through the fender well. if i absolutly comes down to that i will have to i guess. thanks for the help man.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts