Diesel Place banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need to change out the AC Delco batterys. What does everyone say about the Optima Red tops or Yellow tops. What is the best for our trucks? Only about $20.00 difference, between the two, from Sam's Club.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Go with Red Tops, Yellow ones are deep cycle for marine and RV use. Optimas are excellent. I have them in all my vehicles. I live in AZ and the "other" batteries won't hold up in the heat.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Actually the Blue top is the Marine/RV deep cycle.

The Yellow top is the best choice if you ever park your vehicle for any extended time. In my experience if you let a red top completely discharge it won't take a full charge again. After losing 3 Red tops I switched to the Yellow top and have had no trouble with the 6 I am currently using in the past 5 years.

·
Registered
106 Posts
hello all

YOU all know what i'm going to tell you.. As most of you know
i'm a optima fan.. Yellow tops are better in the long run.
You can Drain them Down and it will recover back like new.

We have yellow tops on all fleet trucks,Cars,and our personal duramax's .. There is some where on optima web site that states yellow tops are better for diesels

From steve
Fleet owner

·
Registered
396 Posts
Desert Diesel said:
Actually the Blue top is the Marine/RV deep cycle.

The Yellow top is the best choice if you ever park your vehicle for any extended time. In my experience if you let a red top completely discharge it won't take a full charge again. After losing 3 Red tops I switched to the Yellow top and have had no trouble with the 6 I am currently using in the past 5 years.

Yellow AND blue tops are deep cycle. A red top Will recover faster if you ever drain you battery. You may need a jump start, but won't fry your Alternator recharging your battery....

This is from their website....

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=607 bgColor=#ffffff>
<T>
<TR>
<TD vAlign=top align=left width=10>
</TD>
<TD class=blackText vAlign=top align=left width=398>

SLI Batteries
In any vehicle or equipment that will use the battery only for Starting, Lighting, & Ignition requirements and has a properly working alternator, the OPTIMA Red Top™ Starting Battery will perform extremely well, often providing up to two times longer life than conventional batteries. If the vehicle has few or no after-market accessories and uses a stock or upgraded alternator, the OPTIMA Red Top Starting Battery is the appropriate choice.

Remember, it is possible for the customer to have a completely discharged Red Top OPTIMA that will not start their engine; the advantages of the Red Top are that it can accept a rapid recharge and it will recover from discharge many more times.

To provide the customer the best OPTIMA solution, it is, necessary to consider both the application and the charging system before recommending the correct OPTIMA. For example, if your customer has a Ford Expedition with an after-market alarm system, which OPTIMA would you recommend? If the customer drives the car every day, the Red Top would be the correct choice, since the amperage drain will be nominal and the battery would be recharged on a daily basis. However, if the customer stores the vehicle for a long period of time with the alarm system engaged, you should recommend the OPTIMA Yellow Top, since the amperage drain over several weeks would damage a Red Top and reduce its life.</TD>
<TD vAlign=top align=left width=10>
</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD vAlign=top align=left width=607 colSpan=5>
</TD></TR></T></TABLE>

TX-DMAX never asked for a "low drainage unit" just a replacement that would last a long time....

Actually, there are a variety of choices. Go to their site and choose which one works best for you. It's a great batter never the less.

http://www.optimabatteries.com

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks KTDURAMAX for the great information. That is what I was looking for. I drive my truck almost evey day, only sets over the weekend sometimes. Looks like the Red tops is what I will need. The Optima site gives allot of good information.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I heard that summit racing has red tops for 88 bucks plus 8 bucks to ship.

All my rigs get Optimas once the stockers die.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
I went for the yellowtops, but it has to do with preference adn how you would use it.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I use a yellow top at work in a car that can be parked for a week or tow without being used. I think I read somewhere that you can run a yellowtop down to zilch around 350 times without killing it. Our has run down 10-15 times and is still good.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I put a red top in my 95ta that I dont drive enough anymore because I heard they wont leak all over my car.That delco lasted seven years and never leaked or lost the post. Thats probally pretty good for a delco though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts