Diesel Place banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased the Recon Big Rig running lights and haven't had a chance to install them yet. I was wondering if anyone else had these and what do you think of them. I am in hopes that not only will it look great but also provide some light for the AMP steps when getting in or out.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
got'em - look into my garage

yes they should put some light onto the amp steps. I've go the tubular step bars and it dos light them some. they work pretty good, once i got them installed didnt have any problems.

just make sure you've got the mounting clips from Recon ( they didnt send'em the first time - long story ) use some silicone on the wire where you slpice them in up by the headlights. I used the ones they sent and they are still working.

·
Premium Member
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Nice job on the install. Glad to see someone else takes pride in their work. I only hope the lights don't interfere with the AMP steps.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
IIRC the amp steps mount to the pinch weld. I've got my lights mounted about half way up the rocker; so you might be able to go a little higher if needed. they are real thin too; like just under 3/8" thick and about 5/8" wide.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Amp does offer a light kit for their steps. They are leds that mount flush and come on only when the door opens and the step comes out.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
but these look sooo gooood;):drool: because the are on with the running/parking lights and flash with the turn signals/hazards. at night is real nice cause it gives some light to the side of the truck, not just a dark expanse from the front lights to the rear lights

·
Premium Member
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Amp does offer a light kit for their steps. They are leds that mount flush and come on only when the door opens and the step comes out.
Yea I looked at those but for basically the same price I could get something that lights up the side of the truck and hopefully steps. I am pretty sure as many leds are on the strip it will more than light up the steps. As far as the AMP leds I could get LED's and mount them inline to do the same thing as the AMP lights for much cheaper. The step lights are not a problem I just hope it's a bonus.

On edit: Actually from LtEng5's garage I can see they will light up the steps bright. I am not sure I will wire them up to the blinkers though. We'll see!

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
if you hook the blinker wire to a nonblinker circuit it will be a steady brighter light. they are simple circuit LEDs, so you could leae the running light wire disconnected and capped off and hook the blinker wire to the trucks running lights for the brighter blinker cicuit to be on constant all the time.

·
Premium Member
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Do the rig lights flash with the cab lights when you press the remote door unlock and lock?

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
yes, the "low" bulb will flash with the parking lights upon lock/unlock

·
Premium Member
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I got them installed yesterday. It was pretty quick considering they did not send the installation hardware. I used 3M trim tape to install mine (which I would have done anyway instead of screwing into the body.) I also soldered my connections (which I would have done anyway.) So all in all it didn't matter that they didn't send the self tapping screws or the wire splice. The lights look awesome. I wish they made a short one to go on the front lower section of the bed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.