Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FedEx (Sorry Tom, didn't have a choice :D ) just delivered my Recon cab roof lights and I don't see any included installation instructions like stated on the package. Not a problem since earlier in the day I downloaded and printed the instructions written by Tophog and planned on using them anyway. Well for some reason curiousity got the best of me so I went to Recon's website just to see if they did have installation instructions available for download. Sure enough they did and much to my surprise they are using a very, and I do mean very, slightly modified version of the write-up Tophog did including his pictures. I just wonder if he knows? :think:

Tophog's Instructions: http://home.comcast.net/~tophog/duramax/tech/CabLight_Install.doc

Recon's Instructions: http://www.reconaccessories.com/Installation_instructions/RECON 264155 Series Cab Lights Installation Instructions - Hard Wire & Install Photos.pdf

Not trying to start any trouble, I just thought it was worth mentioning.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Not trying to :stirthepo but I hope someone was compensated for his work. You do not have to file for copyright for your work to be copyright protected. The law reads it is protected as soon as it is created. If he was not compensated I think a nicely worded certified letter will get their attention and some $$$.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I am sure they did not do it realizing that they were copying someone's work. Atleast they didnt copy it word for word. It is changed correct? Perhaps they should have asked first but not that big of a deal. (if they ask)

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
tophog;1561815; said:
Thanks for letting me know. I wasn't aware of that.
You are welcome now go get 'em! I think I see any Recon accessories you want showing up at your doorstep for free. :D

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
No, it is basically word for word, including all my pictures of my truck, garage, etc. They simply removed my references to the Pacer HiFive cab lights at the top and inserted their own product information, including company, part number, etc. I have since contacted them. They know what they did is WRONG.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Gonefishin;1561926; said:
I am sure they did not do it realizing that they were copying someone's work. Atleast they didnt copy it word for word. It is changed correct? Perhaps they should have asked first but not that big of a deal. (if they ask)
So downloading my Word document, inserting their own product information and then creating a .PDF file from it is not considered copying? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It is definately copying and wrong. What makes it even worse is that they didn't even have the decency to contact you first or to attempt to write their own instructions.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
JPW77;1562428; said:
It is definately copying and wrong. What makes it even worse is that they didn't even have the decency to contact you first or to attempt to write their own instructions.
:exactly: -:t

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
Well besides the fact that you have every right to be pissed, (which I would) you should be honored that they thought your instructions were good enough to use for their own....:)

Have they responded?

·
Registered
543 Posts
rolloffhill;1562935; said:
Well besides the fact that you have every right to be pissed, (which I would) you should be honored that they thought your instructions were good enough to use for their own....:)

Have they responded?
Maybe they will respond with some free products for TopHog...

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
I haven't heard from them yet. I do hope they plan to respond soon. I did talk to my uncle this morning who is a corporate attorney. He reassured me I have the right to be upset over this and several legal grounds.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
well, they did put a black GMC at the bottom. of course the before pic already has the lights on top, the after pic just has changed from yellow/orange to clear.

I noticed that they took out the paragraph about the shot of whiskey before drilling tho.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
I just realized the date on their modified version is 09/05 which means it's been in circulation for 16 months! The more I think about this the :mad: I get.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
I hope you get paid for your write up Tophog. It was very good. A company like that should have enough sence not to steel somone's work like that.

·
Registered
543 Posts
You mentioned you contacted them.. Did you call them?

I was considering buying their product last year when they went through the "discolorization" issues with a particulr lot. I called their toll-free number and spoke with a "high level of managment". (I say that because I can't remember his name or title)... He quickly told me exactly what had happened in the plastic injection process and that the issue was resolved.. My point is they seemed very quick to repsond and stood behind thier products... In fact, they used to be a supporting vendor here at the DP.

Keep us posted.

tophog;1563031; said:
I haven't heard from them yet. I do hope they plan to respond soon. I did talk to my uncle this morning who is a corporate attorney. He reassured me I have the right to be upset over this and several legal grounds.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
A little copyright trivia ...

How do I get permission to use somebody else's work?
You can ask for it. If you know who the copyright owner is, you may contact the owner directly. If you are not certain about the ownership or have other related questions, you may wish to request that the Copyright Office conduct a search of its records or you may search yourself.

How much do I have to change in order to claim copyright in someone else's work?
Only the owner of copyright in a work has the right to prepare, or to authorize someone else to create, a new version of that work. Accordingly, you cannot claim copyright to another's work, no matter how much you change it, unless you have the owner's consent.

Somebody infringed my copyright. What can I do?
A party may seek to protect his or her copyrights against unauthorized use by filing a civil lawsuit in federal district court. If you believe that your copyright has been infringed, consult an attorney. In cases of willful infringement for profit, the U.S. Attorney may initiate a criminal investigation.

What is copyright?
Copyright is a form of protection grounded in the U.S. Constitution and granted by law for original works of authorship fixed in a tangible medium of expression. Copyright covers both published and unpublished works.

What does copyright protect?
Copyright, a form of intellectual property law, protects original works of authorship including literary, dramatic, musical, and artistic works, such as poetry, novels, movies, songs, computer software, and architecture. Copyright does not protect facts, ideas, systems, or methods of operation, although it may protect the way these things are expressed.

When is my work protected?
Your work is under copyright protection the moment it is created and fixed in a tangible form that it is perceptible either directly or with the aid of a machine or device.

Do I have to register with your office to be protected?
No. In general, registration is voluntary. Copyright exists from the moment the work is created.

Does my work have to be published to be protected?
Publication is not necessary for copyright protection.

How long does a copyright last?
The term of copyright for a particular work depends on several factors, including whether it has been published, and, if so, the date of first publication. As a general rule, for works created after January 1, 1978, copyright protection lasts for the life of the author plus an additional 70 years. For an anonymous work, a pseudonymous work, or a work made for hire, the copyright endures for a term of 95 years from the year of its first publication or a term of 120 years from the year of its creation, whichever expires first. For works first published prior to 1978, the term will vary depending on several factors.

My local copying store will not make reproductions of old family photographs. What can I do?Photocopying shops, photography stores and other photo developing stores are often reluctant to make reproductions of old photographs for fear of violating the copyright law and being sued. These fears are not unreasonable, because copy shops have been sued for reproducing copyrighted works and have been required to pay substantial damages for infringing copyrighted works. The policy established by a shop is a business decision and risk assessment that the business is entitled to make, because the business may face liability if they reproduce a work even if they did not know the work was copyrighted.

In the case of photographs, it is sometimes difficult to determine who owns the copyright and there may be little or no information about the owner on individual copies. Ownership of a “copy” of a photograph – the tangible embodiment of the “work” – is distinct from the “work” itself – the intangible intellectual property. The owner of the “work” is generally the photographer or, in certain situations, the employer of the photographer.

·
Registered
119 Posts
you guys keep mentioning copyright infringment. Is in fact your work tophog copyrighted. You made sure to file your work correct? Anyway, rolloffhill has a great point.:) Why dont you just call them. I am sure they will work something out with you.

·
Registered
145 Posts
What a load of BS. I was going to order the lights for my truck but will now wait until I see how they handle this. Tophog, you should certainly be compensated for the theft of your work. Good luck.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts