Diesel Place banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys my 07 LMM is just at 3400 miles right now. Shes breaking in nicely got a good tow on her at 1000 miles and im ready for my first oil change. My question was what other things are normally performed on the first service. Anything with tranny fluids, etc? Ive been hearing alot about these Amsoil filters and there snthetic oil and have decided thats what I shall use. Will the dealer have this for me or am I going to have to do it myself? I can do oil changes but being my first big expensive truck and all I prefer having the dealer do all the work.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
One thing that I usually do is change the oil in the rear end. Haven't done it yet though, have over 8k on mine. had it's 1st oil change at 6k, been laggin on this truck. I doubt the dealer will have amsoil and amsoil filters though.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I can do oil changes but being my first big expensive truck and all I prefer having the dealer do all the work.
Believe it or not the big expensive trucks get their oil changed very similarly to other cheap vehicles. :)

I perform all maint on my truck. I can ensure everything is done as I like it to be done. Everything is done with the oil and filter I specify and the truck remains as clean (no oil drips, spills, etc) as before I started. There is never a question or doubt if the service was completed correctly.

At 500 miles I changed oil and filter, allison external filter, front and rear diff fluid. Lube all applicable lube points.

At 2500 miles I changed oil and filter and allison external filter

At 5000 miles I will change oil and filter, allison external filter, front and rear diff fluid again. Drain and refill transmission fluid with synthetic. Lube all applicable lube points. Rotate tires.

Service every 5k thereafter.

My service frequency was more rapid (some say extreme) in the begining to get rid of any break in junk that existed. I service at 5k due to very short commute and oil/filter changes are cheap piece of mind. Good luck!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Maintenance

I agree with the previous post, I like to do my own maintenance as much as possible because I know it is done. No towing first 500 miles and under 60mph.

500 miles recommend Rear End Oil Change

1000 miles change Engine Oil & Filter, Fuel Filter, Transmission Spin on Filter.

Every 5000 miles after Change Engine Oil & Filter, Fuel Filter, Trans Spin on

Read the Manual and it tell you what to do for the Recommended Service Intervals.

2007 Silverado 2500 HD LT Ext Cab SB/Black Ext/Ebony Int/ LMM Diesel

·
Registered
96 Posts
I am at the same point with my new truck. I've had a diesel mech. and a long distance trucker tell me to use Rotella T for the first oil change. For the next one go synthetic. At the first oil change they both reccomend changing the diff's to Mobile1. Does this sound reasonable to you experts?

CA
2008 2500 CC 4X4 Long bed

·
LT. Dan
6,816 Posts
yup! i do all my own maintenance my self. that way i know whats going on with my truck. these trucks are fairly simple too.

·
Premium Member
14,360 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts