Diesel Place banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Couple years ago I swapped in an new alternator and could only (at the time) find an alternator with a different clocking orientation. New one had plug under and stud on topside with minimal connector clearance between alternator and bracket(still on the back of unit), old unit was plug on top and stud underside with plenty of clearance (still on back of unit). Fast forward to now and I am upgrading my battery associated wiring and the stud on the back is dangerously close to the bracket. Just fine for the puny stock wire but I am going bigger. Want to reclock the alternator to the original position which had the stud under the bracket and the plug on top.

Hwo do I reclock the alternator without causing any internal (brush alignment) issues or other snafus? I need the room for the larger wire to be added.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Machine Gas

·
Registered
783 Posts
Cheap and dirty: use a pneumatic die grinder to make a little clearance. Plenty of meat in that bracket for it. Paint it to hide what you've done.

Reactions: JMJNet and OkDually

·
Registered
1995 GMC Suburban
18,257 Posts
Cheap and dirty: use a pneumatic die grinder to make a little clearance. Plenty of meat in that bracket for it. Paint it to hide what you've done.
x2. You can put a dimple or even a small hole where it is needed.

I put in an AD244 alternator (same thickness but larger diameter).
The rear bracket ended up covering the bolt from battery.
So, I just shaved the part covering the bolt and paint over the cut (to prevent rust).

Reactions: 56pan

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I took the alternator to a local alternator/starter repair shop. They slid a pin into the back of the unit to hold the brushes in place, unbolted the three E8 bolts, tapped the back of the unit, lifted the back and rotated to the desired location and bolted it all back together again. They did a test on their machine to confirm everything worked as before and I was on my way in 10 minutes tops from walking in the door. Tried to pay but they said not to worry about it.

Got home and it was still off. I needed to do the same procedure and clock it another segment. Got it all clocked to desired positon, bolted it up and it fits EXACTLY where it should be, no cutting, grinding or hacking the factory bracket :) I even had to find a bolt because in its old incorrect position it was not using the outer mounting bolt. So now I have it on the long pass through bottom bolt, the inner short bolt and the outer short bolt. All is well :)

I added a piece of foam with double sided tape as an extra precaution measure when tightening the alternator hot connection. Thought I had the foam lined up correctly but the sticky tape grabbed it and it is where it is...oh well. It serves it's purpose.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Auto part Machine

Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Auto part Automotive design Automotive exterior

1 - 6 of 6 Posts