Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is my understanding that much of the fuel that is filtered and then pressurized is eventually sent back to the tank when it is not used. If this is true, then on average, won't some of the fuel be filtered be more than once? (I understand that some of the fuel will be filtered only once before being burned.) I'm just curious.

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
Yes that is true. Figure by the time you get to the end of your tank, most if not all of that fuel was filtered more than once. Guess it could be calculated out by figuring average return rate and fuel level drop.

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
Yep, there's a pretty good recirculation rate. Fuel is "rejected" from the fuel pressure regulator between the low and high pressure stages of the injection pump and uninjected fuel also bypasses the injectors into the fuel return system. The recirculation is good from a filtering perspective, but the process between filtering and return to the tank contains a lot of high pressure and close tolerance moving parts that could actually be producing some contaminants, too.

·
Banned
2,067 Posts
Do the guys running power modules have less recirculated/refilterd fuel?

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
Bronco said:
Do the guys running power modules have less recirculated/refilterd fuel?

Not a measurable difference, Bronco. The difference in injection timing is in milliseconds and the difference in fuel volume is fractions of milliliters. In the big picture, your stock truck will be recirculating a couple of gallons an hour, and the one with the "box" will be recirculating a couple of milliliters less per hour.

·
Banned
2,067 Posts
Thanks Teach. Did you invent the damn DURAMAX? I mean that as a compliment.

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
Naw, I was always a "precocious child"

1 - 7 of 7 Posts