Diesel Place banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Eric

When my truck was new (now has 3k) the AC would stay in recirc mode no matter how many times the truck was turned on and off. Now is stays on about 50 percent of the time. I have two friends that have basically the same truck as mine and they both experience the same problem. They have both been told by two different dealerships that it is operating normal. The owners manual says if it is in recirc mode when the truck is turned off it should stay in receic mode when the truck is started again. I hope you have some insight on this as I hate to be told "thats normal" Other than this issue I have no other complaints and that is amazing because I am very picky.

The truck is a 03 crew cab SLT 4X4 Edited by: GMCDMAX

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
GMCdmax, not ignoring this question, just need to find the correct info on system operation so as not to mislead you. It will likely be Monday before my answer is complete.

Eric

·
Registered
242 Posts
Thanks for asking this question. I also had no problems initially, now it always goes out of recirc mode when the truck is turned off and the dealer says this is normal, it never should have stayed on all the time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Eric

Thanks for trying to find out how it should really be. As "smart" as this truck is, it is hard to believe that it can't remember if the recirc button was on or not. I hate to say it but this really beats me down. I will hold off taking it to the dealer until I have heard from you.

This is my only complaint but I am due for an alignment and an oil change.

Thanks

GMCDMAX

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
OK, here is the low down on Recirc mode.

Recirc is not avail when in defrost mode, its only avail for 10 minutes in defrost. The blower must be activated for Recirc operation

The a/c high pressure switch can cause recirc, if the recirc switch is pressed into the on postion whtn the mode switch is in an unavailbable mode pos, then the switch led flashes 3 times When the high side pressure reaches 320-380 psi, the pcm will place in recirc mode, when high pressure is lowered( when the inside air cools the refrigerant within the evaporator) to 210-270 psi, the pcm will disable the recirc

Hope that helps explain the mysterious operation of the recirc with out being confusing

Eric

·
Registered
242 Posts
Same question.
I don't use it in defrost mode. It has never flashed, so I can presume I'm using it an acceptable mode. Still, if I use it to run errands and turn the truck off, when I get back in the recirc is off.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Mine will do that too.

I can cruise with 'recirc' on and stop for fuel or groceries and when I restart, no 'recirc'. I'm usually a few miles down the road when I realize that it's off..

I would think it should remember the mode, but I guess it doesn't.

Later...

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
My a/c stays on sometimes and I can't shut it off. 2003 GMC.

Only way I can shut it down is by shutting the fan all the way off.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts