Diesel Place banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We all know what to do to the motor and tranny but for the chassis. Take a 2500HD RC LB 4wd and shorten the frame then put a short box on it. Take out the 34 gallon tank and run a stock 26 gallon tank or a fuel cell in the bed. Have a custom length driveshaft made up for the shorter wheelbase. Take the thick lower overload spring out of the rear spring pack. Add lowering hangers and shackles to the rear of the truck to level it with the front end after the torsen bars have been dropped. Ditch the stock shocks for a set of stiffer ones. Don't forget to beef up the stock tie rods. Pull out the spare tire, tailgate, receiver hitch and PS battery to save weight. Replace rear bumper with rollpan. Put in a rollcage and a set of upholstered racing bucket seats with 5 point harness. Add front and rear drivshaft loops along with a set of traction bars. Finally, put a set of slicks on a set of 16X10 aluminum rims on all 4 corners. I think I'll call it the Duramax SS. The SVT lighting and cobra guys won't know what hit them.
Edited by: mtomac

·
Registered
11,955 Posts
I dont know......a caged truck with slicks on all 4 corners isnt exactly sleeper material

A red CC on 285's on the other hand.....
I'm sure they are pretty shocked right now

Edited by: ratlover

·
Registered
11,955 Posts
And BTW......at least someone is building the truck GM shoulda made. I would give my left nut for a 1 ton RC shortbed stepside duramax. Thats the only part of my truck I dont like.

What color is the new rig anywho?Edited by: ratlover

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
mtomac said:
We all know what to do to the motor and tranny but for the chassis. Take a 2500HD RC LB 4wd and shorten the frame then put a short box on it. Take out the 34 gallon tank and run a stock 26 gallon tank. Have a custom length driveshaft made up for the shorter wheelbase. Take the thick lower overload spring out the the rear spring pack to drop the rear a couple inches. Ditch the stock shocks for a set of stiffer ones. Put a set of slicks on a set of 16X10 aluminum rims on all 4 corners. Don't forget to lower the torsen bars and beef up the stock tie rods. Pull out the spare tire, tailgate, receiver hitch and PS battery to save weight. Put in a cage and a nice set of upholstered racing bucket seats with 5 point harness. Add a front and rear drivshaft loop along with a set of traction bars and that should do it. I think I'll call it the Duramax SS. The SVT lighting and cobra guys won't know what hit them.
So Ah your new truck is in,I see !!!!!!

Mac

·
Registered
91 Posts
Use a composite bed, with the fuel tank over the rear end. How hard would it be to swap a Duramax into a 1/2 ton. The frame will weigh alot less. The main thing would be to get weight transfer with that heavy engine in the front, then 2wd could be used. How would slicks on all 4 corners handle? Wouldn't it get kind of hairy at the big end?

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think swapping a Duramax/Allison into a 1/2 ton would be more trouble than it's worth. That would also put the truck in the DHRA modified class instead of the street class.

The 4wd traction is hard to give up.

You'll have to ask kingD about handling, he's run 4 slicks on his truck at the track. It should handle just as good or better because there's more rubber on the ground than street tires.
Edited by: mtomac

·
Registered
211 Posts
While you are putting it on a diet, the rear axle from a 1500HD or 2500LD should be 50-70lbs lighter and still be plenty strong.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
mtomac said:
You'll have to ask kingD about handling, he's run 4 slicks on his truck at the track. It should handle just as good or better because there's more rubber on the ground than street tires.
i gave up the 4 slicks in the 1/4 deal the front tires or slicks just dont have enough load capacity to handle the weight of a diesel and the thought of the tires letting loose at over 110mph have put a stop to 4x4 1/4s for me.maybe there a street slicks with better load ranges than what i have ,,,just dunno....jess

·
Registered
185 Posts
Don,t worry about the weight loss program.

Just make more HP!

7000# truck+(725-750 HP range) should be close.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Michael,

You have to retain the original wheelbase in Street Diesel and Pro Street sir.

It will take almost 900 hp to send a 7000# truck into the 10's. The aero dynamics pay a big part.

Michael, build a truck that is 5500 lbs and can easily be dropped with some lighter body panels to 4500 in the future, hint, hint, hint....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.