Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that tuning is going to be the most important part but is there a general mix of mods that will usually lead to about 400-500rwhp? I think someone posted a list that got him into the 13s with his 3500 series. That would be nice for a daily driver that will also be used to do some towing. I'm using the Edge and Predator now. Looking to go with one of the big Westers or TTS tunes. Do these tunes effect the max boost level. I think that is about 24-25psi?

Besides the programming I have an aftermarket exhaust and induction along with an upgraded tranny. Have thought about killing the kitty but don't want the truck to be loud.

TIA!

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
PPE Hot+2 and VA box will get you 450-475rwhp, but it runs hot. VA+ predator will get you about 440rwhp, but VERY hot. EFILive will get you there for sure, and more!

Lots of stacks will get you there, it's personal preference. As for boost, you can run 30psi without issue, others have had issues with 32-34 to date!

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Might be a good time to fill out your sig. so we know what version Duramax you have.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Can I stack a Van Acken box with good results?

Mike

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Absolutly with an LLY...VA stack well with just about anything in our motors.

·
Registered
668 Posts
:lol: Pinetree air freshener

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
A few of the EFILive guys are making over 450 on just the ECM (no stacking).
They are also looking to start selling them soon (if not already) as an exchange ECM type setup like Westers and TTS do.
Here's a dyno chart on Tony's tune -
http://dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62812

Kennedy Diesel is the other worth mentioning, making some good numbers with the drivability of a stocker until you plant the foot :eek: .

Cheers,
Ross

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just got back from vacation so I can get back into this. Thank you for the info! It seems like some people like stacking while others have said that it's best to only run one program. Any drawbacks to stacking and can I see about 30-32# of boost with a single program?

One other question, how much louder will the truck be if I replace the front pipe and go with something that doesn't have a cat? I don't want to have to listen to any drone on long trips.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
With straight pipem truck isn't too much louder on the highway, but it sounds great getting up to speed. If you aren't comfortable doing your own tuning with EFILive, I would suggest you talk to John Kennedy about a custom tune. You might also want to do a search or PM racehemi, he has John's new tune.

You will see good power, 30-32psi boost, and lower EGT's than a stack.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
I know when Brich6600's old man had his lly dynoed with just the 130 va he made about 430 at the tires. Our trucks aren't that loud so go ahead and ditch the cat.

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
Drone in my 05 ex.cab sb w/ MBRP front pipe, all 4" pipe and no muffler is minimal. The worst drone is at 50-60mph, but not much more than with a muffler on it. The cat takes care of most of the motor noise if you leave it on. LLY is best w/ stacking or EFI Live tunes. Nothing else is making power on them. The VA box is awesome not stacked and stacked. The 180 box puts down around 150hp over stock by itself and runs nice and cool.

Here is a list to get started making power....

EGT and Boost gauges

Build the trans w/ quality parts and quality Torque Converter

TTS or Kennedy lift pumps(others can be used, but those are the best IMHO)

Fuel rail pressure relief mods might be needed for 1093 troubles

EGR blocker plate

If you have a 4x4, tie rod sleeves are a must

A VA box stacked with PPE, Westers, EFI, Predator, Boost stick etc or EFI Live tuning as a stand alone tune.

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts
IMHO stacking is only necessary to overcome the shortcomings of a particular box or program.

For the LLY I think 500 RWHP may be easier said than done especially if you want it to live...

·
Registered
334 Posts
IMHO stacking is only necessary to overcome the shortcomings of a particular box or program.

For the LLY I think 500 RWHP may be easier said than done especially if you want it to live...

Is it mostly a VVT limitation or some other design change from the LB7?

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts
I'd say VVT efficiency is the major factor.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
What most of you do not want to hear is that 500 RwHp will break the engine with time. These engines were designed to make 300 FwHp and live for 100,000 + miles. This nets you ~250 RwHp. Now you take that up to 500 RwHp which would be ~575 FwHp and things are going to start breaking. We made a 500 RwHp tune called the Xtreme over 2 years ago and tried to let everyone know the risk involved in running at these power levels. We will soon be releasing the Xtreme for the LLY and it is very close to the same power level and we will continue to tell people you will break things with it. We do not recommend using it for daily driving event though many of you do. If you look around you will notice more and more motor failures occuring and as people try to run these high power tunes as daily drivers there are going to be many more. The LLY Xtreme tune will be released with the PowerLoader III.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
very well said:eek::

What most of you do not want to hear is that 500 RwHp will break the engine with time. These engines were designed to make 300 FwHp and live for 100,000 + miles. This nets you ~250 RwHp. Now you take that up to 500 RwHp which would be ~575 FwHp and things are going to start breaking. We made a 500 RwHp tune called the Xtreme over 2 years ago and tried to let everyone know the risk involved in running at these power levels. We will soon be releasing the Xtreme for the LLY and it is very close to the same power level and we will continue to tell people you will break things with it. We do not recommend using it for daily driving event though many of you do. If you look around you will notice more and more motor failures occuring and as people try to run these high power tunes as daily drivers there are going to be many more. The LLY Xtreme tune will be released with the PowerLoader III.

·
Registered
4,132 Posts

Agreed as we both have experianced this first hand, fredw, but your issues are KANEDEEN ):h ):h ):h

·
Registered
479 Posts
So if you keep it in economy, or even tow you should be fine as a daily driver? What if you only kicked in xtreme for passing cars and stuff like that??? How much is too much when using the xtreme tune?

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
what this thred should have been titled is "RECIEPEE FOR A 500HP DREAM OF NOT WRECKING YOUR ENGINE" !!!;)

what do all these have in common ?

#1. the EASTER bunny
#2. the TOOTH fairy
#3. the safe 500 hp DURAMAX engine that will haul the kids around and drag all day long too !!.....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................THEY DONT EXIST !!!!!!!!!!:eek: ):h

1 - 20 of 59 Posts