Diesel Place banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well the reading in our alberta section here looks slim to none so figured I would share a project. Only part of it that is duramax related is that I am using the stock muffler and tailpipe from a 08.

Truck is a 1981 chevy 4x4, nickname "Rusty"
Truck has always been on propane and is a tank! Used primarily for hunting and fishing, and goes places in 2wd that newer trucks struggle to get in 4wd. So I decided to bring it up to date a little bit with a LS1 swap into it. Managed to find the rare all aluminum L33 5.3l HO from a wreck looked like a good platform.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Had a few set backs when getting ready to install the new engine. The biggest was finding a way to plug a hole over 1" diam in the block from where the stock block heater was. Had to remove it as it was where the motor mounts needed to be for the older style truck. Unable to find a plug to fit (some large metric fine thread) got my buddies to come over to weld it closed.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Cool project man! I would like to have an old truck to commute to work with, and save all the cold starts in the dmax.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Thats pretty cool, i didnt know you could put a carb on a ls1, let alone propane! How did you figure out the wiring? Or have you got that far yet?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
LS1 aftermarket is huge, very common engine now a days for old retro swaps. Switching to carb is as easy as an intake manifold and a MSD 6010 to control it. Very basic but works very well. The challenge with propane is getting timing where you need it, with a distributor you just cant control it enough with springs and weights. It is nice to be able to put timing in exactly in the curve where you need it.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got the exhaust finished today. The frame on the older trucks isnt as wide so the tailpipe is a little more out the back. We will see how long that lasts I am sure it will get flattened out on the first big hill but time will tell.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Looks good, when are you gonna have a video posted with it running?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
|I will see what I can do. Had it out working on the tuning today but ran into another problem with the throttle cable sticking. Pulled it out to find it badly frayed causing it to stick in WOT which cut my tuning short.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Pretty cool, im interested to see what fuel mileage you would get with that. Is that intake made for higher rpm or is it an all around style?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That truck it is hard to get an accurate guess even to mpg. It rarely does highway or commuting type driving. All back roads, and short trips not to mention the speedo is about 15 km out. The intake is a victor jr and more so for higher rpm, but with propane I was recently told you want a undivided square bore intake and this is the ticket. I will tell you this..... the truck has far more power than it ever has had. Now even from a slow roll if you put your foot into it, it will eat the tires for a long ways no brake required. Very happy with the swap!

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Thats good to hear, how much do you figure the whole swap cost? If i ever get my k5 project going again then i would like to go this route.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The basics of the swap was relatively cheap, it was all the little this and that stuff that kept adding up. Essentially all that is needed is the engine, depending who and where you get one $500-$3000 I got mine for $550. This swap needed a intake and msd controller totaled $650, flywheel and converter spacer $250, motor mount adapters $80 that is pretty much it for the major stuff. I spent $2900 all in but that included a lot of new parts here and there, as well as some front end parts, and exhaust.....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts