Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
I'm not sure about anyone elses truck, but my '00 6.5 has a recall on the power steering shaft, found out about it today...My local dealership will be replacing the part free of charge to me, thats labor and parts free..

There is NO expiry on this recall, it's a safety recall...the pump shaft fractures apparently. I suggest you all call your dealerships(96-up...post back with yes or no for you guys) and get this part dealt with, would suck to break on the road with family in the vehicle, and who doesn't love free dealer repairs ;)

In fact you should all go give your last 8 and see what recalls you can get fixed for free aside from the one i'm getting as they are often vehicle specific.

·
Premium Member
9,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
bump. Want to keep this at the top for a couple weeks...give everyone a chance to read it ;)

·
Super Moderator A Country Boy Can Survive...
14,350 Posts
This thread will be a sticky for a week or two just so people see it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
You don't happen to have the recall number do you? My dealer says they know nothing about it.

·
Premium Member
9,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
did you give them your vin? it will be a steering shaft recall, Not sure on the number i'll get it when i get the work done

·
Registered
8 Posts
I gave them my vin and they offered to fix my wiper motor and my seat pin, but not my power steering shaft.

On a side note I replaced the wiper motor when it quit in the middle of the desert during a rare rain storm. Do you think they will still replace the wiper motor with an OEM part?

·
Premium Member
9,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yep if it's recall they sure will...or should

·
Registered
574 Posts
We almost need premanent sticky for recalls like this one, have them all listed as we find em out. Mabey a section in the FAQ...

·
Premium Member
9,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Its been made permanent.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Does anyone have the recall number yet?

·
Premium Member
9,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
if you take your vin to the dealership, and ask to watch the screen and see that theres no recalls, you should be good. only certain vehicles get certain recalls

·
Been Around A Few Motors.
276 Posts
Iirc

IIRC at one point we had access to the Ebsco online and it has all the recalls fro everybody.GM,Furd etc etc. I went looking for the thread and can't find it.

But I did recall seeing it.
Somebody else might have better luck finding that thread.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I used this site. Put in the year/make/model of the vehicle. It came back with 6 recalls for mine (one was duplicated, and the other was for gas). Brake switch, wiper motor, brake pedal and linkages, and one for engine cooling (which by the description, sounded like a pmd issue).

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/recalls/

just click on "search recalls"

·
Registered
474 Posts
there is no link I can see that says "search recalls"

·
Premium Member
9,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Make: CHEVROLET Model: C/K PICKUPS
Model Year: 2000
Manufacturer: GENERAL MOTORS CORP. Mfr's Report Date: JAN 05, 2005
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 05V005000 EA04012
NHTSA Action Number: EA04012
Component: POWER TRAIN:DRIVELINE:DRIVESHAFT
Potential Number of Units Affected: 98221
Summary:
SOME PICKUP TRUCKS, VANS, AND SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH A HYDRAULIC PUMP DRIVESHAFT THAT CAN FRACTURE, RESULTING IN IMMEDIATE LOSS OF HYDRAULIC POWER STEERING ASSIST. ON CERTAIN VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH HYDRO-BOOST POWER BRAKES, THE SAME CONDITION CAN RESULT IN LOSS OF POWER ASSIST FOR BRAKING AFTER THE RESERVE PRESSURE IS DEPLETED.
Consequence:
AN INOPERATIVE PUMP CAN CAUSE INCREASED STEERING EFFORT, AND IN HYDRO-BOOST EQUIPPED VEHICLES ALSO INCREASED BRAKING EFFORT, BUT DOES NOT COMPLETELY ELIMINATE THE ABILITY TO STEER OR SLOW THE VEHICLE.
Remedy:
DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE HYDRAULIC PUMP. THE CAMPAIGN BEGAN ON FEBRUARY 14, 2005. OWNERS MAY CONTACT CHEVROLET AT 1-800-630-2438 OR GMC AT 1-866-996-9463.
Notes:
GM CAMPAIGN NO. 05001. THIS ACTION IS DEEMED A SAFETY IMPROVEMENT CAMPAIGN AND IS NOT BEING CONDUCTED UNDER THE SAFETY ACT. THE COMPANY HAS INFORMED NHTSA THAT IT WILL PROVIDE THE MODIFICATIONS DESCRIBED ABOVE FREE OF CHARGE.

·
Premium Member
9,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Vehicle Make / Model: Model Year(s):
CHEVROLET / C/K PICKUPS 1999

GMC / C/K SERIES 1999

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 00V097000
Summary:
VEHICLE DESCRIPTION: LIGHT DUTY PICKUP TRUCKS. THE SEAT BELTS FAIL TO CONFORM TO THE REQUIREMENTS OF FMVSS NO. 209, "SEAT BELT ASSEMBLIES."
Consequence:
THE SEAT BELTS MAY NOT RESTRAIN AN OCCUPANT PROPERLY IN THE EVENT OF A CRASH.
Remedy:
DEALERS WILL REPLACE BOTH THE FRONT DRIVER AND PASSENGER SEAT BELTS WITH NEW SEAT BELTS.
Notes:
OWNER NOTIFICATION WILL BE CONDUCTED IN TWO PHASES. THE FIRST PHASE BEGAN SEPTEMBER 19, 2000. THE SECOND PHASE BEGAN MARCH 16, 2001. OWNERS WHO TAKE THEIR VEHICLES TO AN AUTHORIZED DEALER ON AN AGREED UPON SERVICE DATE AND DO NOT RECEIVE THE FREE REMEDY WITHIN A REASONABLE TIME SHOULD CONTACT CHEVROLET AT 1-800-222-1020 OR GMC AT 1-800-462-8782. ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S AUTO SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-888-327-4236).

·
Premium Member
9,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Model Year: 1998
Manufacturer: GENERAL MOTORS CORP. Mfr's Report Date: MAR 07, 2003
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 03V093000 EA02005
NHTSA Action Number: EA02005
Component: VISIBILITY:REARVIEW MIRRORS/DEVICES:EXTERIOR
Potential Number of Units Affected: 507171
Summary:
CERTAIN SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES, MINI VANS, AND PICKUP TRUCKS MAY DEVELOP A SHORT CIRCUIT IN THE ELECTRIC OUTSIDE REARVIEW MIRROR SWITCH.
Consequence:
IF THIS WERE TO HAPPEN, IT COULD RESULT IN AN INOPERATIVE SWITCH, HEAT DAMAGE TO THE DRIVER¿S DOOR, AND/OR IGNITION OF COMPONENTS IN THE DRIVER¿S DOOR AND A SUBSEQUENT VEHICLE FIRE WITHOUT PRIOR WARNING.
Remedy:
DEALERS WILL INSTALL A FUSED JUMPER HARNESS TO THE ELECTRIC OUTSIDE REARVIEW MIRROR SWITCH. OWNER NOTIFICATION BEGAN ON APRIL 24, 2003. OWNERS WHO TAKE THEIR VEHICLES TO AN AUTHORIZED DEALER ON AN AGREED UPON SERVICE DATE AND DO NOT RECEIVE THE FREE REMEDY WITHIN A REASONABLE TIME SHOULD CONTACT CHEVROLET AT 1-800-222-1020 OR GMC AT 1-800-462-8782.
Notes:
GM RECALL NO. 03006. CUSTOMERS CAN ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION¿S AUTO SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-888-327-4236).

·
Premium Member
9,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Model Year: 1997
Manufacturer: GENERAL MOTORS CORP. Mfr's Report Date: APR 28, 2003
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 03V159000 EA02006
NHTSA Action Number: EA02006
Component: VISIBILITY:WINDSHIELD WIPER/WASHER
Potential Number of Units Affected: 1755876
Summary:
ON CERTAIN MINIVANS, PICKUP TRUCKS, AND SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES WITH CERTAIN MODEL-ENGINE COMBINATIONS, THE WINDSHIELD WIPER MOTOR MAY FAIL DUE TO CRACKED SOLDER JOINTS ON THE CONTROLLER CIRCUIT BOARD. THE WINDSHIELD WIPERS COULD WORK INTERMITTENTLY OR NOT AT ALL.
Consequence:
IF THIS WERE TO OCCUR DURING BAD WEATHER, DRIVER VISIBILITY WOULD BE REDUCED, WHICH COULD RESULT IN A CRASH.
Remedy:
DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE WIPER MOTOR CIRCUIT BOARD AND COVER. OWNER NOTIFICATION BEGAN ON JUNE 19, 2003. OWNERS WHO TAKE THEIR VEHICLES TO AN AUTHORIZED DEALER ON AN AGREED UPON SERVICE DATE AND DO NOT RECEIVE THE FREE REMEDY WITHIN A REASONABLE TIME SHOULD CONTACT CHEVROLET AT 1-800-222-1020, GMC AT 1-800-462-8782, OR OLDSMOBILE AT 1-800-442-6537.
Notes:
GM RECALL NO. 03023. CUSTOMERS CAN ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION¿S AUTO SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-888-327-4236).

·
Premium Member
9,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Theres the recalls for our trucks from 1994 to 2000 note the 1997 recall is in effect for 1994 - 1997 and may include some 1998 trucks

1 - 20 of 35 Posts