Diesel Place banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Glamis, the reflash for level sensing problem a multistep procedure.

The condensed version:
Drain def tank.
Reflash number one.
Fill def tank.
Reflash number two.
Using TechII verify that tank sensors are all 'active' and that calculated range is greater than xxxx.

Mine has been done twice (difference versons of the update and at different dealers as the truck was on the road the 2nd time) and have not neither charged for def.

Fuel mileage has improved with odometer mileage.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I will have mine lemon lawed if they dont figure it out. Then I will promptly go order my Laramie Longhorn like I originally was going do....

I already opened a case...

·
Registered
530 Posts
Just talked to my service manager after he had discussed the high EGT issue with GM, and they confirmed that with the new flash they are injecting more fuel at the cylinders to raise exhaust tempretures. This change was mandated by the EPA after their testing indicated that some of the vehicals were not meeting the new emission levels after the trucks were in service for a period of time. Guess they have the power to revoke the certifications as they see fit.
I voiced my concern that from what I was seeing now (plus 200 to 250 degrees), that towing would very likely be as high as 1750 under some circumstances; ie mountain passes, based on prior experiences towing with this truck. I asked if we could re-install the old programming, and after talking to his tech, said that the old programming could not be recaptured.

DO NOT have this reflash done; it cannot be reversed!!

·
Registered
410 Posts
Just talked to my service manager after he had discussed the high EGT issue with GM, and they confirmed that with the new flash they are injecting more fuel at the cylinders to raise exhaust tempretures. This change was mandated by the EPA after their testing indicated that some of the vehicals were not meeting the new emission levels after the trucks were in service for a period of time. Guess they have the power to revoke the certifications as they see fit.
I voiced my concern that from what I was seeing now (plus 200 to 250 degrees), that towing would very likely be as high as 1750 under some circumstances; ie mountain passes, based on prior experiences towing with this truck. I asked if we could re-install the old programming, and after talking to his tech, said that the old programming could not be recaptured.

DO NOT have this reflash done; it cannot be reversed!!
You don't have a choice in California, you can't renew your tags until you get the recall done

·
Registered
312 Posts
OK, My question on the reflash is: Are they reusing the old fluid or just refilling with new, And how many of you are paying for it?

Seems if its a recall, they would just handle it. Am I wrong?

·
Registered
410 Posts
Mine has had the reflash, just got it's best ever average towing milage (13.6 with 13K behind) and nothing less than 17 empty highway, and approx 500 miles between regens

·
Registered
410 Posts
OK, My question on the reflash is: Are they reusing the old fluid or just refilling with new, And how many of you are paying for it?

Three Way in Bakersfield did my flash, said nothing about any DEF (but it was close to full) and the charge was $0

·
Registered
128 Posts
Got my recall last night (Canada). It says that the recall is voluntary. Goes on to state "the Diesel Exhause Fluid (EDF) injection system may not operate as intended. If this occurs the Malfuncion Indicator Lamp may illuminate, a DEF system warning may be displayed in the DIC, and vehicle speed could be limited. Under certain circumstances the vehicle's emissions could increase".
It also states that " you GM dealer will reprogram the engine control module and install a shield and insulation to the DEF tank". They say that we should have the software update done now and the shield and insulation later when they become available, some time in early fall.
I had my reflash done mid August before my trip to Florida towing approx 9K lb trailer. Average fuel mileage was 10.5 mpg towing there and back. I recently went on a 400 mile trip and averaged 21.9mpg (no load), mostly highway driving.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts

When my reset reflashes were done both dealers used new fluid. No charge.

I don't think they need to use fluid if it is for the recall.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
You don't have a choice in California, you can't renew your tags until you get the recall done
Unless you need tags right away you could always delay until tag time -- incase there are updates to the recall. We know there have been many revisions to the reset update. (including one after the recall was released)

·
Registered
410 Posts
Unless you need tags right away you could always delay until tag time -- incase there are updates to the recall. We know there have been many revisions to the reset update. (including one after the recall was released)
My problem was, my tags expired on Aug 30...

·
Registered
312 Posts
OK, Got the reflash. They charged me for the DEF to fill it up again? So far, have not noticed anything. Time will tell on the mileage.

Oh, And I have a leak. They say its the upper pan gasket.....Great..........

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
OK, Got the reflash. They charged me for the DEF to fill it up again? So far, have not noticed anything. Time will tell on the mileage.

Oh, And I have a leak. They say its the upper pan gasket.....Great..........
Did they do the recall flash or the level reset reflash?

·
Registered
312 Posts
Both I guess. I had the recall notice that they did and had to top off the fluid for the level to register. Who Knows. I am begining to think they do not even know........

·
Registered
410 Posts
Glamis, who is your servicing dealer?
Cormier, in Long Beach, (where I purchased) and 3Way in Bako, (where I have had all the service) have all been fantastic, even if you didn't buy there

21 - 36 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.